The "Z"

mickeyfitz

Just a friendly reminder, the Zuiderdam really should not be called the "Z" since there is also the Zaandam, but for some reason people keep using this shortcut. If "Zuiderdam" is just too long to type or you feel the need to use some kind of nickname, "Zui" works. Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive on this issue because I'm a particular fan of the Zaandam and if, anything, its the original and in my humble opinion the best "Z".

I think we've covered this ground before ...

When I first posted here, in 2003 or so, after sailing on the Zuiderdam, I referred to her as the Z in some of my posts. Color me clueless, I was not aware of all the names of the HAL ships.

Sometimes it takes a while for a newbie to become aware of these things.

Have patience.

If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane.

P.S. Before anyone points out that it says I joined in July 2004, I must explain that in 2003 I had another screen name. After my November 2003 cruise on the Zuiderdam, I didn't post for a long time ... then forgot my password! So I chose another screen name and password in July 2004.

Is your own name not important to you? Mine is! I don't wish to be known by just a letter............

Ships, like people have names, can't understand why it is so difficult to use them. :mad:

A lot of people weighed in on this subject a few weeks ago.

Sure, my name is important to me, but guess what? I have a nickname! It is not associated with my first, middle or last names. It's a nickname I was given in high school. And, btw, it is 2 letters ... my *real* first name has 8.

Using my nickname does not diminish my *real* name.

In this world of text-messaging, Internet, etc. etc. shorthand has become the way many communicate.

LOL ... BTW ... or even just :confused: :eek: :)

Using a letter or two or three to identify a ship, or HAL to identify the cruise line, or FLL to identify the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is just evidence of that shorthand style of communication.

Do I think the name of the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is important? Sure!

Am I going to type it out every time I refer to it? No way.

BTW ... someone posted that the crews of the various HAL ships use nicknames rather than the full names of the ships. :)

The poor Zaandam seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, ever since the introduction of the Zuiderdam.

Oceanwench, no need to explain yourself. The only time I ever look at the number of posts someone has is when they write a scathing review. I'm always curious as to whether they used CC and/or a TA to get info beforehand.

My observation is that a lot of time, complaints are due to unrealistic expectations. A family books HAL expecting it to have a kid's program like Disney. Or the gentleman who thought you can get any food you want at any time, and then was dismayed when he was told lobster wouldn't be served until formal night.

Roz

Just a friendly reminder, the Zuiderdam really should not be called the "Z" since there is also the Zaandam, but for some reason people keep using this shortcut. If "Zuiderdam" is just too long to type or you feel the need to use some kind of nickname, "Zui" works. Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive on this issue because I'm a particular fan of the Zaandam and if, anything, its the original and in my humble opinion the best "Z".

Very few people care if you use a nickname, but no ship should be referred to as the (insert name here). The ship's moniker is a proper noun; therefore, calling a ship the Zuiderdam is the same as referring to the mickeyfitz.

Simply drop the the. However, if you want to be formal you might want to use the salutary abbreviation for motor ship (ms), which encompasses nearly all cruise ships: ms Zuiderdam.

Very few people care if you use a nickname, but no ship should be referred to as the (insert name here). The ship's moniker is a proper noun; therefore, calling a ship the Zuiderdam is the same as referring to the mickeyfitz.

Simply drop the the. However, if you want to be formal you might want to use the salutary abbreviation for motor ship (ms), which encompasses nearly all cruise ships: ms Zuiderdam.

hmmm....the hotel I'm sitting in typing this is called "Hilton San Francisco," but is always referred to as "the Hilton". Any capitalized noun is a "proper noun", almost all can be modified by the definite article "the":

the White House

the Ohio State University

the Wizard of Oz

the Spirit of St. Louis

the Louvre

the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul

the Mosque of Omar

The Zuiderdam

hmmm....the hotel I'm sitting in typing this is called "Hilton San Francisco," but is always referred to as "the Hilton". Any capitalized noun is a "proper noun", almost all can be modified by the definite article "the":

Except ships. It just ain't nautically correct.;)

In all seriousity, ships are considered beings, nearly always lady type beings, not things such as buildings and monuments.

Except ships. It just ain't nautically correct.;)

In all seriousity, ships are considered beings, nearly always lady type beings, not things such as buildings and monuments.

Well, the crew who sail on the Oosterdam call her "The Big O" - are they incorrect?

Ships are considered female, just as automobiles are. That's got nothing to do with their names, though or the use of "the". Just ask Mr. Trump!

Well, the crew who sail on the Oosterdam call her "The Big O" - are they incorrect?

... and, as James Deering -- Hotel Manager aboard ms Oosterdam -- pointed out one night, when things go wrong she becomes the "O-Dam." :D That doesn't work with any other ship in the HAL fleet.

the White House

the Ohio State University

the Wizard of Oz

the Spirit of St. Louis

the Louvre

the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul

the Mosque of Omar

The Zuiderdam

And you guys out on the Left Coast also use "the" with highways, right?

As in "You take the 5 north to LA ..."

I've never heard that anywhere else. And I apologize if I got the route number wrong!!! I seem to recall "the 5" from San Diego.

Archived