Saga of the swimsuit in the t-pool

warmwinds

I mentioned after our cruise that my swimsuit had an awful musty/moldy odor from the T-pool (the only pool I was in)...someone mentioned soaking it in white vinegar. I just wanted to report that I did that (for several hours), then soaked it in water again (because it stunk of vinegar, lol), then washed it again in warm soapy water and it is FINALLY almost back to normal! Thank you so much for that very helpful hint. It still has a slight odor, but not an unpleasant one like it had before.

I did not have any discoloration, so I was lucky there, but that smell almost had it headed for the trash. Moral of the story is do NOT wear a suit that is new or that you really love. I'll keep this old one for future cruises until it falls apart...why mess up another.

I use pools all the time...chlorine, salt water. The best way to take care of a suit is to wash in regular laundry detergent as quickly as possible. Never just let a suit dry without washing with detergent or soap. I wash in my washer on handwash cycle. Suits do not fade or smell. Before I did this, I had lots of faded suits. I also wash my swim shoes with it. Woolite is the worst. It may be good on sweaters, but it can kill a bathing suit quickly. When I am on the ship, I use the shampoo to wash the suits. When I get home, I rewash with detergent in the machine.

I mentioned after our cruise that my swimsuit had an awful musty/moldy odor from the T-pool (the only pool I was in)...someone mentioned soaking it in white vinegar. I just wanted to report that I did that (for several hours), then soaked it in water again (because it stunk of vinegar, lol), then washed it again in warm soapy water and it is FINALLY almost back to normal! Thank you so much for that very helpful hint. It still has a slight odor, but not an unpleasant one like it had before.

I did not have any discoloration, so I was lucky there, but that smell almost had it headed for the trash. Moral of the story is do NOT wear a suit that is new or that you really love. I'll keep this old one for future cruises until it falls apart...why mess up another.

I had this exact problem and followed the vinegar suggestion. Now I can't get the vinegar smell out. I keep throwing the suit in with every dark load I wash, but no luck yet. I'm still hoping a few more washes will do it. Still, the vinegar smell is better than the musty/moldy smell. Darn, and it had to happen to the most expensive suit I own. Lesson learned!

Try adding baking soda to your laundry load - I've used it to get the moldy/musty smell out of towels that my son forgets to hang up after a shower.

Solution: On M Class ..just across the hall from the Tpool is a Change room with really big showers (Century you have to go almost to the exercise room) On S Class it's further. ....but the water quality was different in their pools.

Dip and then shower using soap on your suits..

Skinny dippers are excused.....:p

Archived