Chankanaab-Royal Swim-No reservations

Colorado Kat

I've had very bad luck in the past two years, booking excursions, and then the ship not making it to the island.

I want to do the Royal Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab. I called, and the rep on the phone told me there are openings on the day I want - Oct 26, 2011. This is just 11 days away, and I assume most people book expensive things further in advance than I do.

My ship (Carnival Imagination) is in port from 1pm to 10pm, and there are 3 openings at 2pm, as well as 4 openings for the 3:30. Just 1 other ship there that day (Carnival Legend)

I'm leaning towards just going and showing up to book the Swim.

Has anyone attempted to do this and been successful?

Kat - My husband and I did the dolphin swims at Chankanaub on our first 2 visits to Cozumel.

On our 3rd visit to Cozumel, we went to Chankanaub to spend the day and hang out, just because we love it there. Even if you don't participate in a swim, you can see the dolphins from the pier, and it's pure pleasure to watch them.

We'll be going there in a couple of weeks and this time we're doing the manatee swim.

I've always booked my dolphin swims well in advance, so it's hard to say if, by just showing up, you'll get in. One question -- why not book the 3:30 opening?

It's an easy cab ride from the ship to the park.

The park is absolutely beautiful, so IMO, even if you don't book a swim, it's a fantastic way to spend the day. The beach is very nice, quiet, and relaxing. The snorkeling is not bad. And the pool is lovely. Also, if the dolphin swims are booked, they also offer manatee and seal swims.

Hope this helps.

Well, I have missed a lot of scheduled ports in my last 3 cruises. Other places have refunded fully if we don't make it to the island. The people who run the dolphin swim at Chakanaab will give you a credit to be used within the year. That makes me nervous, with excursions costing over $100.

Archived