Review- and "Antigua Adventures" experience!!

aloveforwander

This is an excerpt of my full review on the NCL page which also includes Barbados, St. Lucia, Grenada and Tortola (Virgin Gorda).

ANTIGUA- Alright, paradise has come to earth…THIS WAS OUR FAVORITE ISLAND OF ALL. I had prearranged (since July ’04) the infamous Eli’s Eco Tour with “Antigua Adventures”. Eli is a hardcore native who grew up exploring every inch of sea and bay that surrounds this beautiful Island. He is the prime of a legacy started by his grandfather- tourism at its best in Antigua. He knows what is like for his island to be at its best as virgin (his childhood past) and even better now as a postcard perfect tourist Mecca for the rich and famous (and not so famousJ). Somehow, his tales and his new yacht/catamaran made us feel like celebrities. We relaxed on deck and sailed under the most ideal azure blue sky and turquoise oceans as Eli exuded nothing but glory about the history, ecology and people of his island. Our tour included “Hell’s gate” (only reachable by boat), snorkeling, hiking, and a BBQ luncheon. The banana bread was made by a neighbor of his just fresh that morning. Can’t put words to how incredible that bread was- it would just melt in your mouth. Eli and his crew mate Epe are 2 young good looking guys with a love for the water and sailing, and great hosts gracing all of us with tropical juices of tamarind and passion fruit through the day. The best part- even as large as his boat is (including snorkeling equip. and all) they commit to taking no more than about 25 people, so that we have ample room and plenty of comfort. His boat has an actual potty room and storage cabin and all of it is “whistle clean”. His website is www.adventureantigua.com where price lists and info are detailed.

Please feel free to ask any questions...:p :) :D

PS- Eli has T-shirts (short sleeve $20/ long sleeve $25) with a picture perfect photo of Hell's gate on the back and the turtle and Antigua flag in front chest. We only bought one- BIG MISTAKE. Should have bought more as EVERYONE stops us and asks- where is that??? Great tool for reliving our memories. The photo is "Conde Nast" perfect! :D Bring CASH and plan on the best souvenir of your trip...

Wonderful review! Thanks so much!

We've had many taxi drivers in Antigua who've told us that if we wanted to go sailing, Eli was THE BEST!

How far in advance did you book with Eli?

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I booked in July '04 as we were originally going in January. Around October, they were very good about changing my reservation for March. They were almost booked out then.

Interesting note- As we were boarding our boat- a couple of ladies approached Eli at dock and asked to join. They did not have reservations. The ladies insisted and offered MONEY to get on. Eli insisted- "we are booked!". Frankly, it appeared as we had room for more. Eli, however, keep his word- and denied them the tour. As acknowledged on his website, they have a max capacity to keep tour personal and with lots of room for those that booked in advance. KUDOS to Eli for holding up to that promise!:D

Hey Amarco!!! Wow... Didn't you get to go on Eli's in January aboard the Jewel??:confused:

If not- you can't go wrong and will LOVE IT!

Susan- my pleasure!! Please say hello to Eli from Brenda, Alex and Nick from Orlando!! Have a great time! :D

We had reservations for Eli in January but in Dec. we were notified that they were having trouble with the boat and they cancelled a couple of weeks of tours. Eli refunded our deposit immediately too. I will definitely do Eli if we cruise to Antigua again though.

Looking forward to my next two cruises, what about you? Any cruises planned for the future?

Oh! Too bad. But that definitely shows how responsible Eli and his company are.

me??- well- we are booked for 3 future ones.

Sovereign- 10/28 (Halloween w-end)

Miracle- 12/25 (Christmas)

Jewel- March 11 (8 nights and back to Antigua!!) (Orange Co. Spring Brk)

Wanna join us??:)

We did Eli 1.5 years ago and had a great time. We are also booked for this June when on the Adventure. You mentioned you were on Eli's catamaran/yacht. Were you on his new boat and new tour? I don't see anything about it on his website yet. When we went he had just gotten his new motorboat. If his new boat is a catamaran, I might prefer to do that.

Thanks.

No. We were not on his "new" to come boat. This was newer as it was only less than 2 years old. Sounds like the one you were on. It is a powerboat. Sorry for the confusing terms. (keep in mind never really been on such an excursion before ;) )

However, you may want to contact Eli and ask, as he did tell me he is getting a new boat for a new tour that will go around the entire island of Antigua. You may ask if he will have it avail. by June when you are there. Sounds like he is growing- which is GREAT!!

I will be back next year and we plan to go on his new tour. Enjoy!:p

Archived