No Kids in CL but Adults at DreamWorks Breakfast & Getting Face-Painting??

What's the difference if it was 100 adults or 100 children?? Wouldn't it be the same time spent with the characters??:confused::confused:

Yes it is......hard to blame it on the adults that were in the room. Just as it's hard to say that someone couldn't prebook a seat because all the adults did....nobody has any idea who prebooked ahead of them....

Like the airlines, I'm sure that RCL allows X% to be booked online and the rest to be booked when arriving on the ship.........It would be unfair for all of it to book online when there is a large % of people who don't do online planning.

Haven't you noticed that shows will be 'sold out' online but then open for booking when you get onboard? Or that Chops is 'sold out' at a time you want but then you get the time when you get onboard??

If RCCL only wanted children with parents/grandparents to reserve the Dreamworks Breakfasts then they wouldn't let non children(adult only) reservations book the Breakfasts.

Same thing with booking more than one breakfast...RCCL allows those of us who want to see all 3 characters book the 3 breakfasts.

If RCCL only wanted children with parents/grandparents to reserve the Dreamworks Breakfasts then they wouldn't let non children(adult only) reservations book the Breakfasts.

Same thing with booking more than one breakfast...RCCL allows those of us who want to see all 3 characters book the 3 breakfasts.

Agreed

My mother and I attended the character breakfast last May on the Allure and a group of four of us attended again in Sept on Allure. We did not have children with us but enjoy these characters as they are for all ages as another poster already stated. The reservations open up at the same time for all cruisers, so everyone has the same opportunity to book. Do not see anything wrong with adults choosing to reserve, we had a wonderful time and will probably book it again next time we are on a ship that offers it.

I also agree with a previous poster who said that we are comparing two completely different things. Exposing Children to an adults lounge with alchohol is not something I would think any cruise line would allow.

They serve alcohol in the MDR and the Windjammer. What are children supposed to do, only eat room service in their cabins?

So Brmoqueen, you're okay with kids in the CL during cocktail hour, right. I just want to make sure that you agree that if the rules allow something, it is okay with you.

Since the rules now allow it, I don't have much of a choice now do I....Do I think it's appropriate...NO.

Do I think that the bkfasts should be only for kids?...I think kids should get to reserve FIRST but no, I don't think that it should only be for kids.

Since you don't know me in person, I will tell you that I am a rule follower to the T....If you tell me no, then it's no.....Unlike a lot of others, I don't just do what I want when I want.

When I cruise in Jan, I'll deal with whatever kids may or may not be in there...When I go on Oasis in June, I'll probably not go in the CL much at all since it will most likely have tons of kids.......que es lo que es

You adults do realize that it is just another adult in that costume? Personally, I agree with the OP that the breakfast should be for the children and their parents. I cannot imagine why anyone else would want to be there. I would think my husband was crazy if he wanted to sign up for this and he would think I had lost it if I even suggested it.

You adults do realize that it is just another adult in that costume? Personally, I agree with the OP that the breakfast should be for the children and their parents. I cannot imagine why anyone else would want to be there. I would think my husband was crazy if he wanted to sign up for this and he would think I had lost it if I even suggested it.

This made me laugh! I was thinking the exact same thing. The last place I want to be is at a character breakfast. To each his own!

I want to add that it would be very disappointing to the families who booked these ships for the dreamworks experience and then not being able to take their children to the breakfast because of adults taking the spots.

I've followed the discussion regarding children in the Concierge Lounge, where it seems like the vast majority of posters think that children do not belong in the CL. I have young kids, ages 7, 7 and 3, and I wouldn't think to bring my kids into the CL unless I was running in quickly to ask the concierge a quick question and my wife was not around to watch the kids. I wouldn't think of bringing them in during the cocktail hours. There are simply times and places for certain things, and the cocktail hour isn't the time and place for kids.

Having said that, when we went on the Allure in March, we tried to reserve spots for my wife and me and our three young kids for the DreamWorks breakfast. We tried making the reservations shortly after reservations first opened up online. But we could only get space for my wife and our 7 year old daughter. Her twin brother and younger brother were out of luck--no character breakfast for them.

But at the breakfast, there were full tables of adults--and adults only. I'm sure those adults were simply trying to relive childhood memories. I like reliving childhood memories too. Yet, in a limited space situation, by whole tables of adults going to a children's breakfast and reliving childhood memories, they are robbing actual children of experiencing childhood memories in the first place.

The same goes for facepainting. The line for facepainting on Allure was very long, and there were adults (sans children) in line. Again, I get the desire to re-experience childhood, but when young children don't have the patience to wait in line for 55 minutes to get their faces painted, you are robbing children of experiencing childhood FOR THE FIRST TIME.

So I am curious if there are people on the board who agree BOTH that children don't belong in the concierge lounge (an adult area) and that adults don't belong in the DreamWorks breakfast, face-painting line, etc. (children's activities). I sure do.

So let's hear what you think.

The adults pay for the kids to be there..............

Using the OP's analysis, allowing children to accompany their parents to see Chicago fills seats that would/should be open to adults who want to see the adult-oriented show. Should children be prohibited from Chicago to make more room available for adults?

I want to add that it would be very disappointing to the families who booked these ships for the dreamworks experience and then not being able to take their children to the breakfast because of adults taking the spots.

.....I feel the same way about bringing my children to the CL and being put upon because of the inconsiderate actions of some adults....See we have something in common....wierd isn't it.....:confused:

Just 2 older adults deciding to go. We had made our show reservations weeks before.

Since there was still availability for the breakfast shortly before we sailed, the assumption would be that families chose not to make their reservations.

Royal sent enough emails to remind us to make reservations. If you choose not to make reservations .......you take your chances. There are enough postings on these boards warning people of this.

As I said in an earlier posting....if you try immediately to make reservations with no luck, call Royal & they will help you.

.....i feel the same way about bringing my children to the cl and being put upon because of the inconsiderate actions of some adults....see we have something in common....wierd isn't it.....:confused:

omg :).

I'm going to guess that you never dress up in any costumes for fun and that you probalby don't go out of your way to see Dreamworks movies if you think it's crazy. As a gamer that goes to conventions I'm used to this whole dressing up and pretending thing and find it to be fun and amusing. I understand that you might not appreciate it or find it to be fun. Just like I don't find many things that others do to be of any value... such as watching any sporting event or drinking. I also don't enjoy camping, hunting or Nascar which also fall high on many peoples lists. We all have our own likes and dislikes and should respect what others enjoy doing even if you don't "get it".

Hi there

We are grandparents travelling without any of the kids (hurrah!!;)) We are sailing on the Liberty TA and don't expect a lot of kids onboard from previous experience. We booked, with 4 friends, the character breakfast for my birthday. I think it will be a hoot. I would be mortified though, if by booking I had excluded a child from enjoying this activity. Perhaps a way of allowing parents with children to book first by a certain cut off date, and then throwing it open to all would be a good idea. As for the CL question, not sure during cocktail hour but definitely ok during the rest of the day.

Sue

My husband and I went to the character breakfast last April on the Allure. We wanted to have our picture taken with the characters to send home to our grandchildren. We were the last ones to have our picture taken because the characters took pictures with all the children first.

I think RCCL should open up more space for the character breakfasts and have more characters during that time. Face painting is not something that I am interested in doing. If we went on a Disney cruise, we would be allowed to do all the activities there.

Hi there

We are grandparents travelling without any of the kids (hurrah!!;)) We are sailing on the Liberty TA and don't expect a lot of kids onboard from previous experience. We booked' date=' with 4 friends, the character breakfast for my birthday. I think it will be a hoot. I would be mortified though, if by booking I had excluded a child from enjoying this activity. Perhaps a way of allowing parents with children to book first by a certain cut off date, and then throwing it open to all would be a good idea. As for the CL question, not sure during cocktail hour but definitely ok during the rest of the day.

Sue [/size']

We have 6 grandkids but traveled without them & enjoyed the character breakfast. DO IT & DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ! Seniors are just as deserving !

How I see it : I paid for the cruise and the perks are mine and not my child's perks. The decisions on where or what my child does or is allowed to do (following the rules ) is only on me. If the breakfast is my responsibility to reserve than I will. If I can't than my kid will get over it. Like it is the end of the world if he misses out on a small portion of a great cruise.

As for the CL - my son will never go in because he has no reason to be in there. Not because there is alcohol but because in my mind it is an adult atmosphere and should remain that way (just my opinion).

Everyone brings up there kids differently and that is why there are so many varying opinions.

Oh and I can't see myself going to either the breakfast or face painting without any kids - just not my style. Thanks and happy cruising

Here's a thought...maybe RCCL can have a "Character Happy Hour" in the CL for Adults only??!!

Then all of the adults can "schmooze" with their favorites and not worry about taking it away from the kids :)

Heck, maybe they'll even pose for pictures, sign autographs, and do some jello shots!

In my most humble opinion, I am surprised that adults want to go to these kiddie functions. As a mother of 4 I accompanied my children over the years to so many Breakfasts with Santa, character breakfasts at Disney, and a load of other places that required a parent to accompany a child and I am so over all that. :) The little kids actually think those characters are REAL but we parents (adults) know they are NOT. Being at these functions with a child, so you can see it through their eye makes it tolerable...but without a child you love with you, it would seem like torture. :D

To each his own!:rolleyes:

I can reply with opinions on both sides of the coin. We were on the Allure with our 2.5 yo daughter and we stayed in a Grand Suite.

MH and I were able to enjoy the CL cocktail hour once, since that was the only night we could escape without DD (leaving her with the grandparents). I really enjoyed that one evening and wish I could have enjoyed more. My daughter is very quiet and well behaved, and frankly...I paid for her to be the suite with us and I sure as hell should have been able to get a her a few apps and hors d'oerves that come with her paying to be in the suite with us.

Seeing as how we were usually in line behind abut 40 adults for most character meet-and-greets, the least they can do is give children preference in these situations, just as they give adults a certain preference by choosing to not allow kids into the CL.