San Francisco to Yountsville

strawbs1

We'll be sailing the Pacific Coast aboard Crystal Symphony in December. The ship arrives in San Francisco at about 10:00 a.m. on the Tuesday and sails at midnight the following day.

My husband and I plan to travel to Yountville as soon as the ship has been cleared and we'd like to do this via the Baylink Ferry to Vallejo and then take a taxi from there to Yountville. We'll be staying at a hotel in Yountville that night so we can take a hot air balloon flight over Napa the following morning at something nuts like 5:30 a.m.

Does anyone know what the taxi situation at Vallejo ferry terminal is like? Should we make car service arrangements or does there tend to be ample taxi service there? The ferry definitely seems to be the way to go but the Vallejo to Napa leg I'm a bit uneasy about.

We used to live in Napa and often took the ferry to the city. I don't recall seeing a taxi stand at the pier but my DH says he thinks maybe he had seen some taxis there. I asked him and he said it is about 40 miles from the ferry building to Yountville or more depending on where you are staying. You might be better off asking the hotel or balloon company to suggest a car service.

You will love the flight over the valley. It is beautiful there. We often would awake to the "swoosh" sound of the pilot givng the balloon more hot air. We would walk out to the patio, wave and say good moring to passengers as the balloon was hovering above. Seeing the early morning valley skies dotted with gorgeous balloons always brought a smile to our faces, as the memory done now.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the Napa Valley and delightful cruise as well.

Thank you so much! I will look into the car service in that case.

I'm tremendously excited about the hot air balloon flight! And I simply love Napa so spending the night there will be a nice bonus, too.

Really appreciate your response.

It's only about 24 miles from the Ferry to Yountville. But I would seriously consider renting a car either in SF or in Vallejo. You have time to stop and see some of the sights in the Napa or Sonoma valley.

My son works part time for one of the Balloon companies, and I know they pick up and drop off at the hotels, but they may also be able to pick up at the Ferry, doesn't hurt to ask.

It's only about 24 miles from the Ferry to Yountville. But I would seriously consider renting a car either in SF or in Vallejo. You have time to stop and see some of the sights in the Napa or Sonoma valley.

My son works part time for one of the Balloon companies, and I know they pick up and drop off at the hotels, but they may also be able to pick up at the Ferry, doesn't hurt to ask.

I stand corrected on the miles. I will talk to DH about his distance memory. However, I agree with the car idea depending on if you want to drive, hire a tour or just have a service car shuttle you to your hotel. There are lots of little things to see in Yountville and wonderful places to dine as I recall. Or at least there used to be but we have not been there in several years since we no longer live in the area.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful trip and when you are high up in the sky over the valley please say hello for us.

We'll be sailing the Pacific Coast aboard Crystal Symphony in December. The ship arrives in San Francisco at about 10:00 a.m. on the Tuesday and sails at midnight the following day.

My husband and I plan to travel to Yountville as soon as the ship has been cleared and we'd like to do this via the Baylink Ferry to Vallejo and then take a taxi from there to Yountville. We'll be staying at a hotel in Yountville that night so we can take a hot air balloon flight over Napa the following morning at something nuts like 5:30 a.m.

Does anyone know what the taxi situation at Vallejo ferry terminal is like? Should we make car service arrangements or does there tend to be ample taxi service there? The ferry definitely seems to be the way to go but the Vallejo to Napa leg I'm a bit uneasy about.

I would recommend just renting a car and driving. I think it might be less expensive and more convenient.

Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...
We're New Yorkers--neither of us drive!

One more question: Which is closest to the SF Cruise terminal: the San Francisco Ferry Terminal or Pier 41? The ferry leaves from either.

Thanks, everyone!

There really isn't a single "SF Cruise Terminal" - there are multiple piers spread out along "The Embarcadero". We've been there several times and been in a different place each time. Try to find out which pier your ship will use, then check on Google maps to see which ferry terminal might be closer.

We're New Yorkers--neither of us drive!

One more question: Which is closest to the SF Cruise terminal: the San Francisco Ferry Terminal or Pier 41? The ferry leaves from either.

Thanks, everyone!

Symphony will be docked at the Pier 35 cruise terminal, with Pier 41 being your closest point to picking up the ferry. Although a nice walk, the Ferry Buildilng is considerably further than Pier 41.

We've enjoyed several cruises aboard Symphony -- hope you do, too! And have a wonderful time in Yountville and riding the hot air balloon. :)

Archived