Snorkeling: PV vs. Cabo?

andynapril

We're trying to decide if we should snorkel in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo (Santa Maria). I know how to do it on our own in Cabo, but is it possible in PV? Is there any good snorkeling that we can do on our own (not a ships tour?) in PV or is Cabo better? Better for quality or ease/cost. Thanks! :)

We're trying to decide if we should snorkel in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo (Santa Maria). I know how to do it on our own in Cabo, but is it possible in PV? Is there any good snorkeling that we can do on our own (not a ships tour?) in PV or is Cabo better? Better for quality or ease/cost. Thanks! :)

Have you done any snorkeling along the Mexican Riviera before? It is not the same as doing it in the Caribbean.

While I haven't gone snorkeling in Cabo, we have done it in Vallarta a number of times over the last decade. We don't even bother to bring our gear any more.

I don't recommend booking any excursion in Vallarta where snorkeling is the primary activity. There are quite a few excursions that can be booked independently where snorkeling is parts of the days activity.

Some people have been known to taxi it down to Mismaloya and hire a panga off the beach to take them out to the Los Arcos Marine Reserve.

We have snorkeling in Mexico before. In Ixtapa and Cabo. My husband did a beginners scuba trip in Puera Vallarta one year, but said the visibility wasn't that good. It looks like the Marine reserve is a boat trip, type snorkel trip. I'm kind of looking for a beach & snorkel trip. Is there anything like that we can do on our own in Puerto Vallarta? Just wonder if the snorkeling is better in Cabo. Thanks!

I would say Cabo is better because the water is clearer. Depends on when you go - right now is rainy season in PV so the rivers make the bay murky. That said it still isn't anything like the Carribean side.

I was in Cabo last November and then again in February. There really isn't great snorkelling close to downtown, but you can get a panga / water Taxi to drop you at Lovers/Divorce beach by Los Arcos (the Arch) and pick you up later. You will see some fish and usually there are seals/sea lions on the rocks to the left of the beach - watch out for boats and jet skis. There are also some rocks good for snorkeling between the Arch and the Naval station - and little pocket beaches. For this you would have to bring your own gear but bargain with the boats as they should do it for $8 -$12 US return.

There are a bunch of snorkel boats/catamarans that sell tours in the Marina area or you could book these online yourself. The ships tours will cost more and often you will be on the same boat if you buy it yourself for less. They will take you down the coast to Chileno and Santa Maria bay - both areas are good.

Depending on how many are in your group you probably would save a lot by renting a car and driving to either one of these yourself. They are both south of town along the corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Driving in this area is relatively easy (just one main road) - just make sure you buy the Mexican insurance. I have used the Alamo office downtown and they are professional and reasonable. If you call ahead they will pick you up from the tender drop area or just walk the 1/4 mile to their office. It is located right across the street from the main shopping mall.

Santa Maria beach is at mile 12. Last time we were there the sign was down - watch the miles and you will see 2 hills waterside - the dirt road approx. middle will take you to the beach. Park under the nearest tree for shade and walk to the beach.The best snorkeling is at the far end (of course) but there are lots of fish. There is an umbella guy who rents for $5 - $10 day; worth it to me. I personally prefer this beach. Bring your own drinks and snacks.

Chileno has more facilities and is also usually busier, but it is well signed and even has a proper pullout area. Look for it at mile 14.

We are on the Carnival Spirit Christmas cruise and this is what our party of 4 is doing for our long day - the 2nd shorter day we'll hang in the town/marina area.

If you like to be on the water PV has lots of whale watching tours. I will be there in 2 weeks and after extensive research am booking a combo tour with Wildlife Connection http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/dolphin-turtles-combo-tour/. As you will be on the ship the evening turtle tour would not work but they do have a combo whale watching / wild dolphin swim that is only 3.5 - 4 hrs. What I liked is that this is with a naturalist aboard, is limited in the number of people they book(12-14 total)so an intimate tour, and that the animals are free. I have already done this type of tour with whale sharks in the Caribbean and sea lions in the Sea of Cortez and it is awesome to have this kind of interaction with wild animals. They are as curious about us as we are of them.

Reviews of this tour are on Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150793-d675285-Reviews-Wildlife_Connection-Puerto_Vallarta_Pacific_Coast.html

This is probably not sold through the ship, but on their homepage they mention working with ship time and some of the reviews posted were from cruisers so sure it would be OK.

Archived