Handicap rooms on the Liberty

Hey!

we are looking to sail on the Liberty on Febuary 12 with our 10 year old daughter who has Down Syndrome. My concern is that she has real problems taking a shower, she normally takes a bath. We have a balcony cabin booked and I know that they have no tubs. She could shower with me, her mother. How big are the showers? Would it be a better idea to try to get a handicap room and if so where are they located and do they have balconys? Basically, are there any pictures of the accessible rooms on a sister ship?

Thank you so much for your help. This is our first cruise and these boards are wonderful

:)

Hi, Wishingtocruise -

Welcome to cruising - I'm sure you'll find it's a great vacation and particularly with a family. You may want to post your question on the "Disabled Cruise Travel" board as well, and also search that board as you may get a lot of useful information that can help you prepare for your cruise with your daughter.

I've never been on the Liberty, but on other cruiselines Handicapped or "accessible" cabins are designed for persons in wheelchairs. Therefore, they'll have a "roll-in" shower and a bathroom that's large enough for a wheelchair to move around. The shower should have a fold-down seat and grab bars.

If it's most important to have a tub for your daughter you may want to consider a suite or look at other cruise lines where standard cabins will have a tub. I believe that all of the newer Holland America ships have tubs in their outside and balcony cabins (but not inside cabins). Holland America is a very different experience from Carnival but it may be worth it for you.

In addition to reading these boards a good travel agent should be able to do some research for you and help you have the best possible experience.

Just post the same question- if possible copy and past the same question.

May I also suggest that if your daughter needs to shower with you- head to the gym/spa area since the showers there are so much bigger. (they also have 6 shower heads washing in all directions. Usually kids under 16 are not addmitted but since this is a certain circumstance I dont think there should be a problem.

Showers on a carnival cabin are not very big. Sometimes you need to leave the stall to change your mind--thats how small they are.. (LOL)

Archived