Cruise Weddings Do & Don'ts - Your Comments Please

WDrake_98

Hi All,

I was wondering if all the past members who had weddings on a cruise could list a quick summary of the do's and don't of thier experience.

Do: Book Early

Don't: Forget the groom

Including your cruise line and wedding location (Embarkment Port, In Port at Destination, on Island, Etc.) would also be helpful.

We cruised with RCI but used an independent wedding planner.

Cruise length: 4 nights

Embarkation: Miami, FL

Wedding: Compass Point Resort Nassau, Bahamas

Do: Start planning early as the time passes quicker than you expect. Particularly the last 6 months when the final decisions are made and invoices become due. Generally cruises take forever to arrive :) but with the deadlines for decisions and deposits it comes quick.

Don't: Wait until the end to pay everything off. See above...when you think you have plenty of time you don't.

Definitely DO have fun and don't get too stressed out!! :p Easier said than done.

If I had it to do all over again...from planning stages to end I would in a heartbeat. We had a blast!!

We cruised with RCI but used an independent wedding planner.

Cruise length: 4 nights

Embarkation: Miami, FL

Wedding: Compass Point Resort Nassau, Bahamas

Do: Start planning early as the time passes quicker than you expect. Particularly the last 6 months when the final decisions are made and invoices become due. Generally cruises take forever to arrive :) but with the deadlines for decisions and deposits it comes quick.

Don't: Wait until the end to pay everything off. See above...when you think you have plenty of time you don't.

Definitely DO have fun and don't get too stressed out!! :p Easier said than done.

If I had it to do all over again...from planning stages to end I would in a heartbeat. We had a blast!!

Great advice. I've got my little calendar of dates on when we want to pay everything off. I have a feeling as time rolls around, I will buy a million little things for my OOT bags and have no attendants gifts.

Do: inform your guests early so they can make plans and start saving money for travel.

Do:start a wedding website, keep it up to date and make sure your guests know about it.

Dont: pay any attention to traditional wedding timelines. (EG:Your invitations will need to go out much earlier than a traditional wedding timeline will say.)

Dont: get stressed over the guests who are unable or unwilling to travel.

Don't get upset when people complain about you being selfish over a cruise wedding.

Don't get upset when people swear they will be there only to not book or cancel at the last minute.

Do roll with the punches. You never know what's going to happen.

I lost my MOH 3 days before my final dress fitting. I had 3 months to get my new MOH a dress and fitted. We had 18 sailing guests besides DH and I. It poured rain half way through pics. They canceled the deck party which I was using as a pseudo reception.

In the end I would't have done it any other way. I had more stress planning my AHR then the wedding itself.

I agree with JulieRose and Cattie. We had plenty of people tell us what a great idea our wedding plans were and they couldn't wait to go...only to back out once the invitations went out. The way we looked at it was the ones who came were the ones we wanted there and were the important people.

Based on early discussions we were planning on about 20-25 guests. It ended up being the two of us and 9 others...and I don't think it could have turned out any better. I think the smaller group was actually better because everyone spent some quality time together. We all fit at one table (Thanks RCL Dining!) and people who didn't know each other beforehand became great friends!

I also lost my best man before the cruise and my wife lost a bridesmaid. I ended up going without a best man and she only had her MOH.

The way we look at it is the cruise and wedding were fun and enjoyable and those who went will never forget it as we won't. Once you've been to a traditional wedding you've been to them all.

Let everything roll off your back and enjoy the moment. It's a week long celebration rather ~5hr party for everyone else. :)

Do -- document everything when dealing with your wedding coordinators Whether you book through the cruise line or with an indpenedent on-island planner, make sure you confirm and re-confirm all of your plans. It seems like a pain, but in the end it will help make sure you get what you expect.

Do -- choose a gown that's destination wedding friendly. Keep in mind, you need to transport your gown, store it in a ship stateroom and wear it on a potentially, steamy and sticky beach. And if you are doing a beach wedding, keep in mind that that the lovely sea breeze may make that long veil a major problem. There are lots of wonderful options that will still make you feel like a princess, while being manageable for a destination wedding.

Don't - worry about people not coming or canceling at the last minute. That happens even at traditional, land-based weddings. Just know that if people can make they will, and if they can't they'll still wish you well.

Don't - listen to the complainers. Just know that you are planning a one-of-a-kind day that will extra special for those who can share it with you.

Princess - Caribbean Princess

Married on embarkation day on the ship while it was in port at NYC

DO: Enjoy yourself the night before the Wedding. You can spend the entire wedding day trying to please your family, let this night be the one where you and your fiancee just have fun with your friends. My memories of the night before the wedding are just as happy and eventful as my memories of the wedding

DO: Make the day about you and not everyone else. I know it's hard, but everyone who cares about you will be there and who cares about everyone else?

DO: Go over the order of your bridal party entrance with everyone so your coordinator doesn't have to run around looking for people she doesn't know because your parents didn't know you wanted them to walk in with you

DON'T: Think everything is going to go perfectly, it's not. But when I think of my wedding, I don't think of any of the small things that didn't happen according to plan

Royal Caribbean, Ft Lauderdale 8 day cruise, wedding on embarking day.

(Do's and Don'ts from a planners/ controlling type personality)

Do Not Stress... at the end of the day the most important thing is you are marrying the one you love. If the flowers aren't right or the songs get messed up, the end results are what matter.

DO LET GO! That was the hardest thing for me to do. There are plenty of things you CAN plan, don't stress over the things you can't plan.

DO your research, reading the boards are a great help, you are already ahead of the game.

DO have a list of photo's you want. if you are unsure or unaware ask on the boards.

DO NOT let other people tell you want you want, or let it get you down if they can't attend or call you selfish etc etc. This day is about TWO people. and neither of those people are complaining about the decisions being made.

DO DO DO have copies of all contracts/receipts with you/ your spouse (or someone close to you who will be attending) so if there is no open bar (for example) you can show the WC that it WAS paid for.

Do Not forget the rings at home when packing, and if you do don't let it ruin your day.

DO Ask questions, ask lots of questions if needed.

DO keep a running tab, you don't need or want to wake up and realize you blew past the budget months ago. I found a great budget spread sheet on the boards (unfortunately for me, I found it after the fact) that has so much more on it. Thread here with download, she deserves a TON of credit for putting this together.

Personally I am glad I didn't do my hair and make-up at the hotel. I have heard others were happy doing it at the hotel.

Do Not Stress, Enjoy the day, Relax and Have Fun!! these are all the things a bride never does...

Royal Caribbean, Ft Lauderdale 8 day cruise, wedding on embarking day.

(Do's and Don'ts from a planners/ controlling type personality)

Do Not Stress... at the end of the day the most important thing is you are marrying the one you love. If the flowers aren't right or the songs get messed up, the end results are what matter.

DO LET GO! That was the hardest thing for me to do. There are plenty of things you CAN plan, don't stress over the things you can't plan.

DO your research, reading the boards are a great help, you are already ahead of the game.

DO have a list of photo's you want. if you are unsure or unaware ask on the boards.

DO NOT let other people tell you want you want, or let it get you down if they can't attend or call you selfish etc etc. This day is about TWO people. and neither of those people are complaining about the decisions being made.

DO DO DO have copies of all contracts/receipts with you/ your spouse (or someone close to you who will be attending) so if there is no open bar (for example) you can show the WC that it WAS paid for.

Do Not forget the rings at home when packing, and if you do don't let it ruin your day.

DO Ask questions, ask lots of questions if needed.

DO keep a running tab, you don't need or want to wake up and realize you blew past the budget months ago. I found a great budget spread sheet on the boards (unfortunately for me, I found it after the fact) that has so much more on it. Thread here with download, she deserves a TON of credit for putting this together.

Personally I am glad I didn't do my hair and make-up at the hotel. I have heard others were happy doing it at the hotel.

Do Not Stress, Enjoy the day, Relax and Have Fun!! these are all the things a bride never does...

Couldn’t agree with LBD more!

My only addition is to DO let things roll off of you. Only you decide how your wedding day will go. Everything that could go wrong seemed to and I decided that I was going to have a blast no matter what. Now I remember my wedding day with nothing but wonderful memories and the cruise with the not so wonderful ones. Stay positive and remember the reason why you’re there is because you’re marrying the love of your life. The little stuff you killed yourself over for months isn’t what is important. ;)

• 7 months later...
Hi All,

I was wondering if all the past members who had weddings on a cruise could list a quick summary of the do's and don't of thier experience.

Do: Book Early

Don't: Forget the groom

Including your cruise line and wedding location (Embarkment Port, In Port at Destination, on Island, Etc.) would also be helpful.

I had posted this back in September. Hopefully it helps. Happy Planning!

Hey folks. Just got married on a cruise and this is not my review, but it is a lessons learned, Hope this will help any new brides to be.

1. Don't rely on this board for ship details. Go to your ship and sailing date roll call and hook up with people actually sailing on your ship.

2. Wine lover? Any person boarding can carry on a bottle of wine even if they aren't sailing. Great "present" for the sailing couple.

3. You CAN bring on food as favors. We had candy in tins and had no problem. Also my sister who wasn't sailing was able to carry the fresh bouquet off the day of the wedding.

4. Ask your guests to help with the ceremony and reception baggage ahead of time. We had 8 or 9 bags to carry on. My DH only had a back pack and the dress and suit and I had my purse because everyone else had offered to help

5. If the bride is using a make up and hair artist in port before the wedding ask if he or she can go onboard with you. Costs a little more, but it gets rid of a lot of stress. Tiffany drove me to the ship and came onboard with me and did a complete hair re-organization after I put the dress on. So much less stress. She is terrific if anyone needs hair and make up in Port Canaveral or Orlando.

6. Put a written list of directions inside your bag with the ceremony/ reception stuff- the coordinator will do wonders. This was actually my DH's list for himself but our coordinator found it and did everything on her own.

7. Have your tips in envelopes for the staff ahead of time. Have some bills handy in case you want to add to the tips. If you have a good coordinator ask him or her how to distribute.

8. Mark all carry on baggage separately so it doesn't get checked on mistake. We used special wedding ribbon to mark our carry ons and it all made it!

9. Make sure you have all of your paperwork with you including guests' cabin numbers, guest list, contract, cake/flower/DJ documents.

10. If you have a good camera, make sure a guest has it to use during the ceremony and reception since you won't be using it.

11. Breathe breathe breathe. And love and remember every minute.

Good luck and well wishes!!!

I had posted this back in September. Hopefully it helps. Happy Planning!

Hey folks. Just got married on a cruise and this is not my review, but it is a lessons learned, Hope this will help any new brides to be.

1. Don't rely on this board for ship details. Go to your ship and sailing date roll call and hook up with people actually sailing on your ship.

2. Wine lover? Any person boarding can carry on a bottle of wine even if they aren't sailing. Great "present" for the sailing couple.

3. You CAN bring on food as favors. We had candy in tins and had no problem. Also my sister who wasn't sailing was able to carry the fresh bouquet off the day of the wedding.

4. Ask your guests to help with the ceremony and reception baggage ahead of time. We had 8 or 9 bags to carry on. My DH only had a back pack and the dress and suit and I had my purse because everyone else had offered to help

5. If the bride is using a make up and hair artist in port before the wedding ask if he or she can go onboard with you. Costs a little more, but it gets rid of a lot of stress. Tiffany drove me to the ship and came onboard with me and did a complete hair re-organization after I put the dress on. So much less stress. She is terrific if anyone needs hair and make up in Port Canaveral or Orlando.

6. Put a written list of directions inside your bag with the ceremony/ reception stuff- the coordinator will do wonders. This was actually my DH's list for himself but our coordinator found it and did everything on her own.

7. Have your tips in envelopes for the staff ahead of time. Have some bills handy in case you want to add to the tips. If you have a good coordinator ask him or her how to distribute.

8. Mark all carry on baggage separately so it doesn't get checked on mistake. We used special wedding ribbon to mark our carry ons and it all made it!

9. Make sure you have all of your paperwork with you including guests' cabin numbers, guest list, contract, cake/flower/DJ documents.

10. If you have a good camera, make sure a guest has it to use during the ceremony and reception since you won't be using it.

11. Breathe breathe breathe. And love and remember every minute.

Good luck and well wishes!!!

Thanks fro ur info tooo.. Are you going on the Breeze out of MIA Sept 8, 2013

Don't get upset when people complain about you being selfish over a cruise wedding.

Don't get upset when people swear they will be there only to not book or cancel at the last minute.

At least Im not the only one to experience this then xx

Actually. I lost my MOH too. I would say "Don't even bother with having a wedding party." It's nothing but stress and more money spent.

We're not really having a wedding party either!

We picked our best friends as best man & MOH after they said they were definitely coming, only to back out due to cost but they told everyone else before us!!! As you say it saves money not having them!!

At least Im not the only one to experience this then xx

Amen! We had this happen too- with three days notice and at considerable expense to us. In the end it all worked out fine- maybe even better than if the flower girl's family had shown up.

We're not really having a wedding party either!

We picked our best friends as best man & MOH after they said they were definitely coming, only to back out due to cost but they told everyone else before us!!! As you say it saves money not having them!!

Gina Isnt your cruise like 295 days away? How could they back out so early!!!!

Archived