Azmara celebrates the sinking of the Titanic-how tasteless

juliang

anyone else get this email from cruisecritic advertising a cruise to celebrate the 100th birthday of the sinking of the titanic? Many people died on the titanic and many more lost loved ones. What thoughtless imbecile came up with this idea to advertise a cruise?.

anyone else get this email from cruisecritic advertising a cruise to celebrate the 100th birthday of the sinking of the titanic? Many people died on the titanic and many more lost loved ones. What thoughtless imbecile came up with this idea to advertise a cruise?.

I don't think anyone is 'celebrating' the sinking of the Titanic.

Its the 100th anniversary of probably the most famous shipwreck in maritime history and there is still huge interest worldwide.

It doesn't bother me whether one cruise ship or a dozen descend on the area in which the Titanic went down next April 15th. Personally, I would have issues with the 'grave robbing' that has gone on since Robert Ballard discovered the wreck in 1984 .

Only sorry the 'Journey' is sold out for the Titanic cruise,

Hi Everyone,

I received the email. The exact words used were : The 100th Anniversary Titanic Memorial Cruise. The word "celebrate" does not appear the email.

I'm not going to pass judgement on this, but many folks have an interest this tragic event in Maritime History. For what it's worth, this is a Charter Cruise, and is not being sold directly by Azamara.

I have to agree with the OP. What shall we commemorate next? A cruise to mark the bombing of Hiroshima? An overnight in New York to visit the site of 9/11? Maybe anchor somewhere to pay homage to those who died in a tsunami? These are just money making exercises for which the owners of the vessels - and it isn't just Azamara - should be profoundly ashamed. No doubt the cruise lines will site "public demand", and there may well be some relatives of those who perished for whom it will be a poignant event. And no doubt because they are arranging these "charter" voyages as a public service the cruise lines will be giving their profits to maritime charities.

I think perhaps 'tasteless' comes to mind. I accept the fascination held by some regarding the Titanic, but I recall the chartering organisation's enthusiastic initial pitch for this cruise and it did verge on crass and tasteless.

Personally I find the idea of encouraging passengers on board to dress in period costume when the vessel will be at the site of a maritime grave to be beyond tacky and insensitive.

I can't imagine the outcry if similar disrespect was shown for other sites (particularly those in the United States, as previously pointed out).

IMO, it appropriate to commemorate the heroism and self sacrifice of so many who gave their lives in this tragedy. It is also appropriate to recognize the effect of this in changing the attitude and regulation resulting in the Safety of Life at Seas (SOLAS) internationa laws that make cruising MUCH safer.

Each time I hae a mandatory lifeboat drill, rather than griping about 20 minutes spent NOT enjoying my cruise, I wonder what effect it would have had on the Titanic if it had been in force, and obeyed by the captain and cruise line.

There have been several incidents during the last 20 years that demonstrate that the sea is a cruel mistress, and respect for the dangers is warranted.

IMO, it appropriate to commemorate the heroism and self sacrifice of so many who gave their lives in this tragedy. It is also appropriate to recognize the effect of this in changing the attitude and regulation resulting in the Safety of Life at Seas (SOLAS) internationa laws that make cruising MUCH safer.

Each time I hae a mandatory lifeboat drill, rather than griping about 20 minutes spent NOT enjoying my cruise, I wonder what effect it would have had on the Titanic if it had been in force, and obeyed by the captain and cruise line.

There have been several incidents during the last 20 years that demonstrate that the sea is a cruel mistress, and respect for the dangers is warranted.

I agree, it is better that this is commemorated in this organised way than in other ways. Just because a cruise has to be used toreach the sight does not lessen the commemoration. Just as taking school children tothe trenches in France involves a holiday run by profit making organisations but the impact of the trip on them can be significant and lastling

I can't imagine the outcry if similar disrespect was shown for other sites (particularly those in the United States, as previously pointed out).

I don't think it is disrespect, but rather more of an interest in an event and keeping history alive. Reenactments of wars that took place in the U.S. are very popular. People dress in period costume and it appears that they do it for entertainment. There doesn't appear to be an outcry over this, so why should there by an outcry over a Titanic memorial?

Susan

I am sure for those interested in the Eastern Sea - it is going to be a great trip - one I quite enjoyed on another line.

There is a museum in Halifax that has a lot of pieces from the ship, and a mini replica.

Perhaps the wording "Birthday" is a little off - not really something to celebrate in the way we think of happy birthdays.

But we visit many places on cruises that are only memorable because of the life that was there thousands of years ago, this trips is no different, but the history is not so ancient!

As ikelmay said earlier, it's a matter of taste.

Agree. I'm indifferent to it, but I recognize that some here find it to be in poor taste. Those who signed on for the cruise are the ones who it really matters to, and it seems that they find it to be in good taste.

Perhaps the wording "Birthday" is a little off - not really something to celebrate in the way we think of happy birthdays.

Did they really use the word "Birthday"? ... I thought it was "Anniversary" ... and anniversaries aren't always celebrated.

Did they really use the word "Birthday"? ... I thought it was "Anniversary" ... and anniversaries aren't always celebrated.

Hi Susan,

You are correct. I reviewed the email (good thing I kept it !) and the word Anniversary was used. I do not see a reference to the word Birthday.

But some people like to get agitated...

True ...but if people are going to get upset, it would be better if it was over accurate info rather than inaccurate details posted by someone who just dropped into the forum for the first time to relay this incorrect info, and who also added an unwarranted nasty opinion just to stir things up even a bit more.:)

Actually there are events and memorials planned in Southampton, Cobh and Belfast, at the actual shipwreck site and all over Halifax. Halifax will be holding church services and graveside services as well as candlelight vigils, and the unveiling of a new memorial on the waterfront to commemorate the victims that were brought to Halifax, some of which are buried here.

I think that a celebration of life for those lost is appropriate. Each year in Halifax we hold a church service for the victims of this tragedy on the "anniversary". Many ships are going to be sailing to the site for the memorial and laying of wreaths in memory of the 100th year of the sinking of the Titanic.

From Wikipedia - "An anniversary is a day that commemorates and/or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same day of the year as the initial event. For example, the first event is the initial occurrence or, if planned, the inaugural of the event. One year later would be the first anniversary of that event. The word was first used for Catholic feasts to commemorate saints."

Actually there are events and memorials planned in Southampton, Cobh and Belfast, at the actual shipwreck site and all over Halifax. Halifax will be holding church services and graveside services as well as candlelight vigils, and the unveiling of a new memorial on the waterfront to commemorate the victims that were brought to Halifax, some of which are buried here.

I think that a celebration of life for those lost is appropriate. Each year in Halifax we hold a church service for the victims of this tragedy on the "anniversary". Many ships are going to be sailing to the site for the memorial and laying of wreaths in memory of the 100th year of the sinking of the Titanic.

From Wikipedia - "An anniversary is a day that commemorates and/or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same day of the year as the initial event. For example, the first event is the initial occurrence or, if planned, the inaugural of the event. One year later would be the first anniversary of that event. The word was first used for Catholic feasts to commemorate saints."

We stopped in Cobh a few weeks ago on the Journey and the old White Star offices there have sadly fallen into some disrepair. Seeing as this is where the last 120 passengers to join the Titanic would have congregated, it was good to hear that the Irish Government are to pay for restoration work in time for the 100th anniversary.

The White Star offices are in the same building as the ill fated 'Titanic' Restaurant, which was opened by a lottery winner in 2000 but closed down amid a lot of acrimony in 2005.

Archived