Nautilus Semi-Submersible -- worth doing?

patdon

We will be in Grand Cayman in early May. Has anyone been on the Nautilus semi-submersible? What did you think? Can anyone compare it to the Seaworld Explorer that is available on other islands?

We were considering the Nautilus also. RCL has a land and sea tour that includes this. We will be traveling with our kids who are not sure they want to snorkel so I was hoping this would be a way to see the marine life. I would appreciate any comments from anyone who's done this tour. Thanks!

We did ours through Princess a couple years ago and really enjoyed it! It is a roomy vessel (compared to the Atlantis sub that we did in Hawaii) with big picture windows. At one point, one of the staff went into the water with some fish food. The fish swarmed and followed him all around the sub. Great opportunity for photos. Plus you see some pieces of old shipwrecks. Although now, after the hurricane...don't know if much is left.

They offered a "special" tour where you were given an opportunity to go up on deck and then into the water and snorkle. This was my husband's favorite part of the excursion.

In June, my wife and I have signed up for the Sub/Snorkel in the morning, and the Aqua boats/Snorkel in the afternoon. GC is a great place for this type of activity! Sounds like fun!

Enjoy!

Kel

We just came back from our cruise RCI Splendour of the Sea. We were in Georgetown on March 28th. We shopped then did the 2:00pm Nautilus semi-submersible snorkeling trip. We met at the circular structure at the pier. We boarded a small bus for the short ride to the Nautilus. The Nautilus looks like a flat floating dock. But you climb down stairs to the underwater part. They made it look like the old Nautilus sub. Wood interior, wheel, lots of windows.

It can hold 96 people, but there were only 17 on our tour. So we could spread out and literally run from side-to-side to view out the windows. We saw 2 interesting wrecks and lots of fish. Water was incredibly clear. Then we anchored at Cheeseburger reef. A diver donned a glove and fed fish right along the window. Great for the non-snorkelers. Then we could snorkle off of the Nautilus. The fish stayed even though we were not feeding them. Big, cool, in-your-face fish. It was a great experience. Some novices including kids tried snorkeling. They all seemed to have a good time. The kids were in and out of the water. The water was smooth. We could watch a later trip from the deck of our ship. The crew was helpful and kind.

We had a wonderful experience. I recommend this trip to anyone.

Alison

Splendour of the Seas March 26-April 2, 2005

Archived