Not protected for fare reductions??

MarkW-FL

We're booked on the December 18 sailing of the Westerdam, paid in full. Yesterday I learned that Holland America is offering the same category cabin for $150 less per person, as part of their "2 Week Sale". I asked them to honor the lower fare... it's worth $900 to us, since we're a party of six. They refused, telling me that they won't make fare adjustments once the reservation is paid in full. Doesn't seem fair at all, nor does it reinforce Holland America's upscale brand image... I'm quite disappointed in their response, especially since we are Mariner Society members. They did offer an upgrade, but one that is only worth a $100 value per person, based on the difference in published fares. Has anyone else run into a similar problem with them? Are my expectations too high?? Thanks for any feedback or advice.

This is the way HAL as always handled it, as do most other lines once the fare is paid in full and you are in the penalty period you have lost all your bargaining chips. I would take the upgrade, at least that is something to sooth the pain. The other thing would be OBC you could use at the bar!

We're booked on the December 18 sailing of the Westerdam, paid in full. Yesterday I learned that Holland America is offering the same category cabin for $150 less per person, as part of their "2 Week Sale". I asked them to honor the lower fare... it's worth $900 to us, since we're a party of six. They refused, telling me that they won't make fare adjustments once the reservation is paid in full. Doesn't seem fair at all, nor does it reinforce Holland America's upscale brand image... I'm quite disappointed in their response, especially since we are Mariner Society members. They did offer an upgrade, but one that is only worth a $100 value per person, based on the difference in published fares. Has anyone else run into a similar problem with them? Are my expectations too high?? Thanks for any feedback or advice.
Afraid that is pretty much standard policy across the board on cruise lines these days:

No price adjustments after final payment.

It is quite common for cruise lines to drop prices to unload their remaining unsold cabins after final payment.

Whenever someone complains about it, the usual reply is that if the fare had gone up instead of down, would you then insist on paying the higher fare?

If the price drops by a huge amount after final payment, people will sometimes come out ahead by paying the penalty to cancel and rebook, but $150 pp is probably not enough of a price drop to make that worth doing in your case.

Sorry you are upset about it. That is certainly an understandable reaction if this is your first experience encountering it, but that is just the way it is. Most of us were not happy about it the first time it happened to us either, but realistically we realize that the cruise lines would go broke if they had to adjust the prices for everyone to the lowest close-out sale price for every cabin category on every cruise.

It is rather like buying airline tickets. There will always be someone in the seat next to you or across the aisle who paid more than you did and someone who paid less.

(Not this again...) :cool:

Yes - the OP's expectations are too high.

I would think that as an experienced cruiser, the OP would be aware that once final payment as been made prices for remaining new bookings often drop so the line can fill the unsold cabins.

A few weeks ago, the fare for my cruise on the Zuiderdam dropped by $100 pp, so I called my TA. I was offered an upgrade, which I declined, but no OBC. A week later, the fare dropped by ANOTHER $100 pp. So I called again, and, again, only an upgrade was offered.

This week, the fare is UP $200 pp MORE than what I paid. So, in the end, it all evened out.

Yes, they are.

So you go buy a new car early in the model year when you can get the best selection of features, colors, etc. and you pay the price. Later, at the end of the model year when selection has diminished they drop the price to clear inventory, (as the cruise lines do to fill the ship) do you expect your car dealer to cut you a check for the difference of what you paid earlier in the year?? :confused:

This happened to us recently just before sailing (and we were getting a reduced fare from the original to begin with). I called and very politely asked what they could do, and we were upgraded to a much better cabin. We were happy and they were happy--since they hadn't been able to sell our new cabin at a higher fare--and away we went. It's like airline tickets: same seat, different price, depending on when you book. All of these companies are in business to make a profit--as am I...

Once you 'buy' your cabin, stop looking at the prices. You'll only get aggravated if the price goes down and it is most unlikely you'd offer to pay more money if the price goes up.

If you don't know the price was reduced after final payment, for new bookings only, it can't annoy you. :D

You must have thought the price was agreeable when you booked your cruise or you would not have agreed to that price so isn't that same cruise, on that ship, in that cabin still worth that much to You?

Well, you could always cancel and then re-book the lower fares --- HOWEVER, you are now in the penalty phase and may not be happy with the cabins that are left. Yes, it's always nice to save $$$ --- but this close to departure -- is it worth all the aggrevation ??? IMO - No.

(Not this again...) :cool:

Yes - the OP's expectations are too high.

I would think that as an experienced cruiser, the OP would be aware that once final payment as been made prices for remaining new bookings often drop so the line can fill the unsold cabins.

Agree. HAL isn't the only cruise line to stick with this policy and it chaffs at me to some degree that many point the finger as if it is.

I think Sail7Seas offered some really good advice. You thought the price was acceptable when you booked, make peace with it and look forward to your Holiday Cruise on the Westerdam--one of my favorite ships! We sailed her last year on the Holiday Cruise and had a wonderful time.

Archived