From ship-walk to ports

SailBabySail

So excited as our upcoming cruise in January on the Gem out of NY will be our first "winter" cruise. We will be visiting 5 ports. We have already been to San Juan and St. Thomas but the other three are new to us.

My question is regarding those three ports: St. Maarten, Tortola and Antigua. Can you debark and walk to these ports where you have things to do like you can in say San Juan? We are looking into a couple of excursions but it would be nice if we could also just walk around.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In Tortola (Road Town), you can walk to some shops and a nice casual restaurant (Pusser's) that are near the pier. You can walk about 4 blocks beyond the pier and get in to "town"...not much there, but safe (except for the drivers!!). Tortola is mostly about beaches (and most of those are on the other side of the island) in my opinion, although a taxi ride to the other side is an adventure!!

If you like interesting spice blends and sauces, make a walk to the Sunny Caribbee store on Tortola. I believe it is on Old Main St. I first went there way back in 1990 and fell in love. I still order some items from them! I love their Herb Pepper Blend, Mixed Hearty Herbs, Spiced Peppercorns, Island Fish Spice and Jerk Seasoning. I still have some of the original wooden shakers that the spices used to come in (10 of them) along with some of the new tin shakers and a few glass jars.

On St. Maartin there are port shops right at the pier or you can catch the water ferry to the "downtown" where there are many shops and places to catch a bit or a drink. THere is also a public beach there.

There is a lot to just walk to on Antigua.

Besides what has been mentioned on Tortola, we walked to a botanical garden one time. It is small but we had an interesting time. It is probably about 8 or 9 blocks if you take the short cuts through parking lots.

So excited as our upcoming cruise in January on the Gem out of NY will be our first "winter" cruise. We will be visiting 5 ports. We have already been to San Juan and St. Thomas but the other three are new to us.

My question is regarding those three ports: St. Maarten, Tortola and Antigua. Can you debark and walk to these ports where you have things to do like you can in say San Juan? We are looking into a couple of excursions but it would be nice if we could also just walk around.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What date is your cruise? I'm scheduled on Jan 18th.

Heather

On St. Maartin there are port shops right at the pier or you can catch the water ferry to the "downtown" where there are many shops and places to catch a bit or a drink. THere is also a public beach there.

There is a lot to just walk to on Antigua.

Besides what has been mentioned on Tortola, we walked to a botanical garden one time. It is small but we had an interesting time. It is probably about 8 or 9 blocks if you take the short cuts through parking lots.

I would suggest that you go to the St.Maarten board and do a search on Great Bay beach which is the beach in town. There has been much discussion about pollution concerns regarding this beach.

Nothing, and I mean nothing you could do on Tortola could match taking an excursion to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. It is simply the most spectacular place.

What are you planing in St. Thomas?

Cindy

former St Thomas resident

Thanks for the heads up. We are thinking about Virgin Gorda but from what I understand the terrain can be tricky and I am just getting over Achilles tendinitis from our last trip. So, it is up in the air. We are definitely going to Magens Bay in St. Thomas as we did not do that the last time we were there.

I would suggest that you go to the St.Maarten board and do a search on Great Bay beach which is the beach in town. There has been much discussion about pollution concerns regarding this beach.

Thanks for this info. We are not planning a beach day at St. Maarten but may do the water ferry to downtown where I understand there are many nice shops.

Thanks for this info. We are not planning a beach day at St. Maarten but may do the water ferry to downtown where I understand there are many nice shops.

The water taxi will provide for a nice picture opportunity as well. You can get a great shot of your ship from there as well as nice pictures as you approach the town. The boardwalk is a fun place to walk and grab a bite to eat or a drink overlooking the water. Along with the shopping which St. Maarten is known for, there is a small museum.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING :p, can beat the Baths at Virgin Gorda! Even with your tendenitis...if u slow walk down to the beach it will be a life moment! Do it!

I think maybe you have convinced me :) So, I am putting it on my "to do" list....thanks.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information you provided. This board is such a wealth of information and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your generosity and patience with taking the time to answer questions. I hope that one of these days I will be able to contribute in the same way.

Archived