Chakanaab Dolphin Push, Pull, Swim Question

geerhart

I am scheduled with a group of 10 people to for this excursion in January. The description says to take a cab to the park. We are wondering how this process works and how much it costs? How easy is it to find a cab and where do we look? How long does it take to get there from where the ship docks? I have never been on a cruise excursion where all transportation wasn't included. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on where you dock (we docked the furthest away from the dolphin swim with another port being closer) and the walk just getting around the terminal...they make you walk forever and you HAVE to pass by all the stores and vendors trying to sell you items (on the 2nd floor) and then down the escalators and around before getting out of the tourist port area. Once you get out, there are tons of taxi's ready to take you anywhere. It cost us $10 to get to the dolphin. Wait...I just realized, which dolphin swim are you going to? There are 2 and we went to the one at Chankanaab.

Oh duh, I just noticed the title...Chankanaab. LOL :D Sorry, it's 1:23am here and I'm tired.

But it's $10 each way to get there. Easy to catch a cab on the way back and it doesn't take very long at all.

Also the walk back to the ship in the terminal is much quicker. You are able to walk straight to the escalator to go up to the 2nd floor and right to the ship basically. They don't have you winding around the entire place like they did on the way out. :rolleyes:

Thank you for all the information..it is exactly what I was looking for. How many people can fit into the cabs? Is the $10 the cost per person or the cost of the cab? The excursion is scheduled from 830 to 12. If we are responsible for our own transportation do we need to leave the park at 12 or is this just the time alloted for the dolphin swim? Thanks again for your help!!

We had a group of nine that went to Chankanaab. There are cabs right outside the terminal. The cab driver actually quoted us a price of $10 per person, but we had two little ones, so I asked if they counted. We negotiated the price a little bit and it was for roundtrip. We were at Chankanaab all day and our driver waited in the parking lot the whole time. I was afraid that he would drive off, so we agreed to pay him only one way when he dropped us off, and paid the other half upon our return. The driver was totally OK with that. They told us that the taxi fare is a set per person rate, I haggled just a bit and got a little lower. All nine of us got into one van.

Thank you for all the information..it is exactly what I was looking for. How many people can fit into the cabs? Is the $10 the cost per person or the cost of the cab? The excursion is scheduled from 830 to 12. If we are responsible for our own transportation do we need to leave the park at 12 or is this just the time alloted for the dolphin swim? Thanks again for your help!!

They are suppose to have a set price I believe and it depends on how many are in your group???

I researched ahead of time and knew that the cab ride to Chank was only suppose to be $10 there TOTAL for 3 people (not per person). The driver charged us $12 when we got there. I thought it was because we were docked at the port that was further away. However, our van ride back...was only $10, so I was ripped off. No big deal I guess. But I do know for a total of 1-3 people it is a total flat rate of $10 for the ride (each way).

• 3 weeks later...

Is the excursion through your cruise ship? For some reason, that's how I'm reading it. I just did this excursion in September, they have taxi cabs waiting for you, and they pay for it. You have the option to tip obviously, but it's included in your price. The one we took held about 6 people, but they split you into groups just for the ride over. Going back to the pier works the same way, they give you some time options and put you into a taxi when you want to go.

If I read that wrong, I'm sorry. I just don't want you to think you have to pay if you booked through the ship. the description on the website was confusing to me too.

Is the excursion through your cruise ship? For some reason, that's how I'm reading it. I just did this excursion in September, they have taxi cabs waiting for you, and they pay for it. You have the option to tip obviously, but it's included in your price. The one we took held about 6 people, but they split you into groups just for the ride over. Going back to the pier works the same way, they give you some time options and put you into a taxi when you want to go.

If I read that wrong, I'm sorry. I just don't want you to think you have to pay if you booked through the ship. the description on the website was confusing to me too.

You are right..we did book through Carnival. The excursion description just says take a taxi so I assumed that we were responsible for the cost. I always thought that one of the benefits of booking through the cruiseline was that transportation was provided, but the description does not read this way. Thanks for the help:) How do they pay for it? What did you think of the excursion?

Archived