First Fred cruise. Questions.

redfrock

Going on Boudicca for Xmas markets cruise ex Portsmouth 10 Dec. There doesn't seem to be much information about departure times or when check in opens. I'm used to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland & America who let you know timings on website.

Is is possible to eat outside of set meal times, as on the other cruises I've been on? Do you have to book for afternoon tea before you leave the UK? I am a bit worried about seasickness at that time of year on a smaller ship. I'm quite good, don't usually get seasick, but have never been on such a small ship.

Any answers appreciated.

we are on Boudicca in january, have been on a couple of other Fred ships. I don't think there are eating places open outside the specified times, but having said that with breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner/midnight buffett, when else might you be hungry. You will be asked lots of times on board if you want to book the paid for afternoon tea...there is always the free one if you do not want to pay. Boudicca and Black Watch are both very good ocean ships, they have v bottoms not flat ones, so cut through the waves.

When you receive your documentation for the cruise you will be given the boarding time. For ex-UK cruises this is usually mid to late afternoon. I am sure if you contact FOCL direct they will give you more accurate information.

Unless you ask for room service meals are only served at the set times. Apart from dinner the meal times cover a fairly reasonable time span. Dinner is, as you will see from the brochures and on the FO website, at specific times.

I am in a similar situation. I have just booked today for the 10th November on the Balmoral, first time sailing with FO. I was told there is only late seating left now which wont suit me at all. Of course there is always other venues to dine in but I was wondering what the chances are of changing once on board ?

I was surprised that the first sitting was full. The problem on the many FOCL cruises I have been that most people want the second sitting. I agree with the "English Lady" that you should contact the maitre d' soon after boarding and I am confident that he will be able to make the change.

Going on Boudicca for Xmas markets cruise ex Portsmouth 10 Dec. There doesn't seem to be much information about departure times or when check in opens. I'm used to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland & America who let you know timings on website.

Is is possible to eat outside of set meal times, as on the other cruises I've been on? Do you have to book for afternoon tea before you leave the UK? I am a bit worried about seasickness at that time of year on a smaller ship. I'm quite good, don't usually get seasick, but have never been on such a small ship.

Any answers appreciated.

Hi,

My daughter and I are going on the same cruise, and in the past with F/O we have received an eticket a few weeks before departure and that states our boarding time which is done in deck order, and also details regarding how many formal and informal nights etc.:)

I always thought most people prefer the 1st sitting - we certainly do. But it is early 18:15

BTW they do not have a V bottom.

I believe , unless there is a very big sea running, that the motion is more comfortable without stabilisers. I think they make for a very unnatural motion as they stop the rolling, which is a lovely easy motion - sends me to sleep in moments. But then I was at sea for 20 years in cargo ships - no stabilisers there.

I was always under the impression since going on Boudicca's sister ship Black Watch that as they are both ocean ships built for world cruises that have more of a v shaped bottom than some of the huge great things that lumber around these days that have more of a u (rounded| bottom, so they have the width to build them higher,-more block of flats on a ships bottom.I will stand corrected if I am wrong as I have to say I never hope to look at any ships bottom I am on!!!

I always thought most people prefer the 1st sitting - we certainly do. But it is early 18:15

We prefer second sitting. If you go on a trip, how do you have time to get back, have a little snooze, shower and get ready for 6.15pm?

Mind you we do live in a parallel universe as we never go out on a Friday and Saturday night until 9.30pm and everyone else is coming home:D

• 1 month later...
Hi,

My daughter and I are going on the same cruise, and in the past with F/O we have received an eticket a few weeks before departure and that states our boarding time which is done in deck order, and also details regarding how many formal and informal nights etc.:)

I now know time, but it is 3pm and check in closes at 3.30pm. Do you know if it is acceptable to go early, say 2.30pm? I'm worried that if I turn up at 3pm, I'll still be standing in line waiting at 3.30pm and they won't let me on! On other cruises I've been on, you just turn up when the check in opens and wait until you've been processed through.

I now know time, but it is 3pm and check in closes at 3.30pm. Do you know if it is acceptable to go early, say 2.30pm? I'm worried that if I turn up at 3pm, I'll still be standing in line waiting at 3.30pm and they won't let me on! On other cruises I've been on, you just turn up when the check in opens and wait until you've been processed through.

The boarding times are phased by deck to reduce the queue time by encouraging people not to arrive too early for the deck they are on.

There are further details here :

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/About-Cruising/Check-in-Times-and-Theme-Nights/MS-Boudicca

This seems to be the arrangements for your cruise:

Deck 9 1300 hours

Deck 8 1330 hours

Deck 7 1400 hours

Deck 5 1415 hours

Deck 4 1430 hours

Deck 3 1500 hours

So if you've been told 3:00pm it would suggest you are on deck 3, as long as you are there on time, they are not going to cut off boarding just because it is 3:30.

Turning up earlier isn't going to get you on board any sooner, it will just leave you waiting around longer, but 2:30pm seems a reasonable time to get there for a 3:00pm boarding anyway.

Archived