Do I need a laptop on the Oosterdam?

haywood

Hi all. We are on the 4/9 cruise to Mexico. Does anyone know if they provide computers or shall we lug around the laptop so I can check e-mail ?! Also, we have Verizon cell phone service, is there coverage along the Mexican Riviera? Thanks in advance for your reponse.......wish I didn't have to work at ALL, but need to stay in touch.:)

Have you thought about using an Internet cafe so you don't have to lug your laptop? They are easy to find in most every port of call. Also, the ship has an Internet center where you can check your e-mail (as long as it's web based ... meaning you can access it through any web browser.)

The advantage to taking a laptop isn't so much to use it for email but rather to be aqble to store digital pictures (unload your cards) and to keep an online journal for the cruise. If you don't need one for those purposes leave it at home and check your email on the ships computers in the Internet cafe.

Have a great next cruise.

When we did the Pan American cruise last Oct/Nov, most of the ports had internet cafes with REALLY CHEAP rates! Some were like $3 for an hour!

If you are flying into San Diego early, there is an Internet Cafe at the Horton Plaza - also cheap!

To use the ship's WIFI for your own computer is the same price as using their computers - $100 for 250 minutes.

The big advantage of a laptop is wireless connectivity, either with built-in wifi or an add-in card. If you don't have one, you can rent a card on board.

Reading email is much more pleasant in either the Crow's Nest or the Ocean Bar than in the internet cafe!:rolleyes:

Details of connectivity and coverage can be found at http://www.mtnsat.com/ds_kbyg_hal.htm

I actually really enjoyed having my laptop on our last cruise, besides being able to report on the thread Live From the Westerdam. I kept my camera loading dock plugged into my laptop. I would upload my pictures daily I also found on the Westerdam that we still could access the internet with my WiFi in our cabin with no problem so I would guess the same should be true on the Oosterdam but then it could depend where your cabin is located. On the Westerdam we were mid ship near the Neptune Lounge on the Rotterdam Deck. In October when we sail the Oosterdam again we will be on the Verrandah Deck in the corner Aft Suite so I guess I will just have to wait and see how well I can obtain a signal. Another advantage to taking your own laptop is just being familiar with it. A friend of mine was on the Westerdam the week before us and emailed me from the ship and said that although the computers looked fairly new the keyboards were terrible and keys kept sticking, he had a terrible time trying to type an email to me.

Not sure if anyone cares but I was thinking of reporting "Live" from the Grand Wailia when we go to Maui next month. Since the resort offers free WiFi I am thinking of bringing my laptop.

I also found on the Westerdam that we still could access the internet with my WiFi in our cabin with no problem so I would guess the same should be true on the Oosterdam but then it could depend where your cabin is located.

There's no WAPs on the "residential" decks, so you need to be close to an access point on a deck above or below you.

Not sure if anyone cares but I was thinking of reporting "Live" from the Grand Wailia when we go to Maui next month. Since the resort offers free WiFi I am thinking of bringing my laptop.

Sure. Do you want reports from the San Francisco Hilton?:rolleyes: I'm here until Wednesday. And it's raining. And there are no cruise ships sailing past SBC park. Heck, with the rain and fog, I can't even see the bay beyond SBC! :(

Sure. Do you want reports from the San Francisco Hilton?:rolleyes: I'm here until Wednesday. And it's raining. And there are no cruise ships sailing past SBC park. Heck, with the rain and fog, I can't even see the bay beyond SBC! :(

Dave, so glad you are bringing us with you to foggy, rainy San Francisco:) . Is the weather suppose to get better before you leave SF? I take it you are there on business. Well, if it makes you feel any better it became over cast here in Las Vegas today, this morning was beautiful though and tomorrow is warm but windy.

Glad you can report in while you are away.

Dave, so glad you are bringing us with you to foggy, rainy San Francisco:) . Is the weather suppose to get better before you leave SF?

It should clear up early tomorrow, then be pleasant the rest of the time. Shall I post daily summaries from the Open Source Business Conference?:rolleyes:

The advantage, to me, of a lap top on board besides the digital picture thing is being able to compose e-mail off line -- reading and writing at $.55/min is expensive, especially when the speed is as slow as it was on the Zaandam last week. Took me up to 7 minutes just to log on, connect to e-mail, and send a pre-written message! We were also on the Zaandam in December and were able to accomplish the same tasks at a fraction of time time. We suspect that there were just too many "dam" people using the internet on that "dam" ship since they have installed the new Explorations Cafe!

Sorry to move somewhat off-topic (of phone service), but does the photography desk have the capability to download pics onto cd for people? I read about another cruise line doing that for people, but cannot recall anyone mentioning it specifically on here. Probably bring a laptop anyway, unfortunately.

Scrumpy

thanks for everyone's replies......anyone out there have Verizon wireless? How's the reception in Mexico?

J.

Shiiiiit, I have friends in Long Beach that have been waiting 2 months to get DSL from Verizon,,, and you want Verizon wireless in Mexico :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually I have Verizon Wireless and although I did not try it, it looked as though I had service in Cozumel and Georgetown Grand Caymans because it did say ROAMING. I also had ROAMING when we were in Cabo last November. I can only imagine that the roaming charge would be extremely high but there was service available. Once you are out to sea on the ship for about an hour you loose all services.

We have sprint service that works without roaming (just their regular package with long distance included) in the US Virgin Islands -- as soon as you venture into the British Virgins the phone will still have all the bars, pretending to have service, but if you try to call it is blocked by the local phone company and no calls will go through. Do not know if Verizon is the same or not.

Archived