Do-It-Yourself Horta, Azores

Would appreciate any info on possible tour companies/private guides for Faial Island (Horta) in the Azores. We dock there on a Sunday, 5/5/05, on the Prinsendam, and there are only a few HAL shore excursions listed. If anyone's been there before, please let me know what you did while there and whatever else you know about the island. There's limited info out there!

Thanks so much.

Hi

Horta is a beatifull city, specially the view to Pico Island.

You can rent a car and do a "round the island" tour. The

crater of an old volcano is impressive. You can also visit

the place of the last eruption. It's very interesting too,

specially if you like treecking.

If you like more action, Whale Watching is probably the

best option. Even you don't see a whale, you can see

lots of other sea animals.

However, the one thing you can't miss, is a visit to

Peter's Sport Cafe. It's right outside the marina.

It was ranked one of 10 best bars in the world by

Newsweek, and the gin tonic is famous worldwide.

Me, although gin tonic is my favorit drink, I prefer

the Peter's aplle pie. It's the best pie I ever eat!!!

Beside drink and eat, you can also visit the screamshaw

museum and the gift shop!

Yes, one day will not be enough :o)

Enjoy your cruise.

Frank

Hi, Frankkosta--thanks for the ideas for Horta. At the very least, we'll have to stop by Pete's Sport Bar and get some applepie (I'm not a drinker). The scrimshaw museum and gift shop would be interesting, too. I like to walk a lot, but my mother is elderly and walks with a cane. I'm encouraging her to get off the ship at every port, if only for a little while, and I think she'd like the museum you suggested. She wants to take a more adventuresome tour on San Miguel when we land at Ponta Delgada. I'll probably do something more extensive by myself on Faial--it looks beautiful. I did read somewhere that women do a lot of quilting on Faial. Do you know anything about that?

Where do you live in Portugal? We'll be stopping in Lisbon after we leave the Azores. Any suggestions for there? (we arrive 2 p.m. one day and leave at 5 p.m. the next day).

Thanks for the help.

Mary

Hi Mary

>>> At the very least, we'll have to stop by Pete's Sport Bar and get some applepie (I'm not a drinker).

I just mention the gin tonic because it's famous. But there are lot's of other things to eat and drink there. Actually, despite it's the most famous spot on the island, I found it was the best place to eat. And it wasn't expensive at all

(I was there back in 1999)

>>> The scrimshaw museum and gift shop would be interesting, too. I like to walk a lot, but my mother is elderly and walks with a cane. I'm encouraging her to get off the ship at every port, if only for a little while, and I think she'd like the museum you suggested

She can also walk around the marina. There are zillions of paitings left by all crews who stop there (some of them are very good). However an word of advice: our typical sidewalk is made of small stones. It's very nice but can also be a trap. If rainy, it can be slipery. Otherwise, mising stones can easily make you fall (the only time I missed work in 16+ years was when I twisted a feet in one of those "traps".)

>>> I did read somewhere that women do a lot of quilting on Faial. Do you know anything about that?

It's not my kind of stuff, but I'm sure there are shops with lot's of them

(probably more numerous in Ponta Delgada).

> Where do you live in Portugal?

Near Beja, about 2 yours SE from Lisbon

> We'll be stopping in Lisbon after we leave the Azores. Any suggestions

> for there? (we arrive 2 p.m. one day and leave at 5 p.m. the next day).

Loads of them. It's all depending what you like to do. Tell me your interests and I'll try to be more specific, ok?

Frank

P.S. If you want to see photos of Horta, sent me your email.

• 9 years later...

We will be in Horta on 4-27 from 10-6 on the HAL Ryndam. I notice that the last post was over 10 years ago. Is there any current info on what to do there? Is there anythig within walking distance from the port - museum, car rental, public transportation, etc? We like museums, historic places, natural places, bird watching, whales, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Iris

• 1 year later...