Road construction on the 5 Central Calif

Mt Lassen

I was just checking the CalTrans website and it lists road construction on the 5 in the central valley through 10/20. One lane traffic and possible delays up to three hours. It also recomends using alternate routes. Anyone have any first hand experience with this in the last few days?

I was just checking the CalTrans website and it lists road construction on the 5 in the central valley through 10/20. One lane traffic and possible delays up to three hours. It also recomends using alternate routes. Anyone have any first hand experience with this in the last few days?

They've been working on 5 near Buttonwillow for many months, we drove down thru it in May with no problems, it is quite narrow in a few places and down to 1 lane here and there for short periods, but no big delays. But I guess that could depend on the day and time of day you are traveling. We plan on traveling down 5 tomorrow to San Pedro and should pass thru that area about 9:00 a.m., not expecting too much of a delay.

Thanks for the information. We're north of Reno, so we have several options. We are going to take 395 down the east side of the Sierras and catch the 14. We are also traveling on Thursday, but will spend the night in Santa Clarita.

Coming from there, you could go down 99 too. I read some info about it after your post and see that the worst areas are actually finished tomorrow, so they won't be doing serious work, but cleanup I would think. Anyway, we'll see. We've stayed in Santa Clarita before when traveling all the way to San Diego, but San Pedro/Long Beach isn't too bad from Morgan Hill, unless the warning are correct - yikes!

Hi Mt Lassen, My wife had to go thru this area about 2 months ago and it was horrible. If I were you I definitly take the 395/14. It would be a nicer drive. we do this drive all the time to the L. A. area.

Have a safe drive and a fun cruise

Archived