Best time of year to cruise?

chitchat

Hi, I've been a lurker on these CC Message Boards for the past month and have been impressed by all of the information members have shared. I really want to take my first cruise next year... no preference - Canada or Carribbean, leaving out of New York. I was wondering if anyone could share their opinion what is the best time of the year to go on a cruise? Also, did anyone have problems with the "Spring Break" crowd in Feb/March? Thanks so much! :)

If you can avoid going on a cruise during "spring break", by all means do. Not only are there fewer kids/teens onboard, after spring break is over the prices tend to drop quite a bit. Another good time to cruise is between Thanksgiving till the week before Christmas, again fewer children and lower prices. Of course, all this will change if you have kids and need to cruise during the school break period.

We haven't (yet) done an Eastern Canada cruise, but I don't think you'll find one Feb/Mar. Typically those are during warmer months of the year, especially early fall.

Have fun planning your first cruise!

I've read on these message boards that many people recommend May as a good time to cruise if you're going south. No hurricanes to worry about and temperatures are good. We did Celebrity Zenith from NYC to Bermuda in October 2003, and we only had a tropical storm to worry about on the first night. May could have been a better time of year to sail, but we were celebrating our anniversary that fall. I would highly recommend Bermuda if you've never sailed. It is lovely and clean and relatively safe.

Archived