traveling with friends-new to insurance

rutgersgirl27

Hi all,

my friends and I are planning a cruise in March. I've only bought travel insurance for cruises with my spouse. How does it work if there are 3 of us, not related, and sharing the same cabin? Does the person booking the reservation book the insurance? are there insurances that are better for groups?

Hi all,

my friends and I are planning a cruise in March. I've only bought travel insurance for cruises with my spouse. How does it work if there are 3 of us, not related, and sharing the same cabin? Does the person booking the reservation book the insurance? are there insurances that are better for groups?

It depends on the insurance. If you're using the cruise line's plan then the cost is charged to the booking and you'll have to split it up yourselves.

If using a third-party plan each person will have the option of purchasing a plan individually -- not all of you have to do it. It's not an all or nothing type of situation. If you all reside iin the same state and are traveling on the same dates then you can all be on one policy. This can save a little bit of money as most of the insurers add a $6 to $8 per policy admin fee. If you're on three separate policies you pay that fee three times. If you're on one policy you pay it once. But usually (not always) only one credit card can be used per policy so one person would pay and have to collect from the other two.

As long as you are sharing a cabin there won't be much if any benefit to using one plan over another with regards to three unrelated cruisers traveling together. All will let the other two cancel if one has to cancel for a covered reason and most will cover any additional fare due if one cancels but the others decide to go anyway.

Archived