Carnival ships' infirmaries/medical care

Trin1103

The nightmare scenario is, what if you are at a foreign port, you suffer a heart attack, you have bought no travel ins., and you are not walking around on your tour with $2000.00 in your pocket, or have a credit card with a high limit..... then what do you do ?

I would have to say that alot of cruisers don't cruise with an extra $5000.00 with them, or ins... Or even if you have travel ins., you might have to lay out that money first, and get it back later, but then you don't have the cash on hand at the time, so your stuck ...

At least in the U.S., ins or no, you get taken care of, and the bills come later...

This is a bit off topic, as the story did not happen on a cruise ship, but it is a cautionary tale regarding the need for travel/medical insurance.

My in-laws were on a Mediterrean tour about 15 years ago when my father-in-law, who had a history of heart disease, began to feel ill. They were in Morocco at the time. The tour guide, bless him, was absolutely insistent that FIL get on their scheduled ferry to Gibraltar. Guide was adamant that he did not want FIL hospitalized in Morocco. Now, I don't know if this was the most sound advice, as fast treatment is critical, but in this case it worked out. FIL made it to Gibraltar and was immediately whisked to the hospital and later diagnosed with a heart attack.

From that point on, their travel insurance provider stepped in and was amazing. All care in Gibraltar (he was in the hospital over a week) was paid. In addition, they paid my mother-in-law's hotel and incidental expenses so she could stay in Gibraltar with him. Later, they arranged his transportation home with a registered nurse, along with paying for MIL's flight along with him. They also assisted with communications to us at home (this was before cell phones).

I have travelled a lot here in the US and never gave a thought to travel insurance, but now that we are planning a Mediterranean cruise, this was top on my list of things to do. Keep in mind that Medicare and most other insurance will not cover you abroad. Even if you are in good health, you never know when an accident could happen. I think it would be most wise to purchase a policy that will cover medical expenses and medical evacuation.

It doesn't hurt to be prepared. Then relax, and have a great time on your cruise!

Archived