Cane Garden Bay vs. JVD vs. Brewer's Bay

whival

Hi all,

Will be in Tortola for the day in January. Trying to decide between Cane Garden Bay, Brewer's Bay or Jost Van Dyke. We are two adults and two childern (7 and 9).

What would you do???

Opinions appreciated!!!

Justine

CGB has several beach bars with decent bar food and drinks and water toys for rent but it will be very busy with your fellow cruisers.

White Bay on Jost is an option but the ferry runs from West End (or a water taxi from CGB). I would consider that an adults scene when it gets busy. But you can go to a quieter stretch of the beach too.

I would choose Smuggler's Cove, it's more remote and less busy than CGB, and a bit of a drive or taxi, but not that bad and well worth it. You also go by Long Bay Resort where you can stop and enjoy that beach and perhaps their pool and swim up bar, and Sebastian's where you can enjoy a waterfront lunch if you don't eat at Patricia's on Smuggler's. Patricia's is just a BBQ grill but she makes the best grilled or jerk chicken this side of Mo'Bay, and her dogs and burgers are unbelievable. She has a small bar and cold beers (2 Red Spripes for $5), and the lounges are free. Beautiful beach and water, and nice view of Sandy Cay and Jost.

We love staying on Tortola, enjoy your day there!

Thanks Blue Water!! Because of you I did some sleuthing on day passes for Long Bay Resort. I emailed the resort and found out they do issue day passes (apparently a rare thing for Tortola). I'm going to post the particulars in another thread, in case it's of interest to other CCers.

Justine

It is one of the few resorts that accept cruisers, but don't blab it too loud as it's a nice, peaceful spot right now and I'd hate to have you ruin that!:eek:

I only mention it to folks who will be visiting Smuggler's or Sebastian's because they're right there.

Thanks Blue Water!! Because of you I did some sleuthing on day passes for Long Bay Resort. I emailed the resort and found out they do issue day passes (apparently a rare thing for Tortola). I'm going to post the particulars in another thread, in case it's of interest to other CCers.

Justine

How much is a day pass please? We are two seniors looking for a nice peaceful beach day or similar. Thanks!

For a nice peaceful beach day I would definitely go to Smuggler's Cove. Locals may be there to escape the cruisers, and there may even be a few cruisers there because it is so nice and is recommended by those who know. But if you enjoy seeing the real beautiful and untouched Tortola beach go to Smuggler's.

Long Bay is that long, picture postcard you always see in ads, and I'm sure you'll be fine there. But Smuggler's is just down Belmont Road and is a real treat. And Patricia serves some excellent food from her grill - she is famous. I asked her to sign my copy of the Drinkin' man's guide to the BVI because she adds to the charm of Smuggler's. Look at the current issue of Caribbean Travel & Life to get a little idea of the different beaces of Tortola.

You could even hit them both if you're so inclined. Enjoy your day on our favorite island!

For a nice peaceful beach day I would definitely go to Smuggler's Cove. Locals may be there to escape the cruisers, and there may even be a few cruisers there because it is so nice and is recommended by those who know. But if you enjoy seeing the real beautiful and untouched Tortola beach go to Smuggler's.

Long Bay is that long, picture postcard you always see in ads, and I'm sure you'll be fine there. But Smuggler's is just down Belmont Road and is a real treat. And Patricia serves some excellent food from her grill - she is famous. I asked her to sign my copy of the Drinkin' man's guide to the BVI because she adds to the charm of Smuggler's. Look at the current issue of Caribbean Travel & Life to get a little idea of the different beaces of Tortola.

You could even hit them both if you're so inclined. Enjoy your day on our favorite island!

howfar from port is smugglers cove and approximate taxi cost???

Published rate is $32pp roundtrip, kids are 1/2 fare ($16pp roundtrip) for a total of $96 + tip

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php

That should be $32 round trip for each adult ($64 total), and $16 for each child ($32 total) for a total round trip price of $96, sorry

Archived