Things to do in the Morning? Beaches?

AlwaysReadyToSail

We will be docked in Key West for about 4 or 5 hours in the morning 7:30-1:30. We may go see Earnest Hemmingways house and do somethign that has to do with Rum or Key Lime Pie. I have heard of sandal shop that seems sort of neat.

Are there any beaches to go to? Where? How do you get to them? How are beaches in the morning?

I wouldn't count on Key West as a beach destination. The beaches there are not worthy of waisting a morning in Key West finding.

Definitely hit the Kino Sandal Factory, Find Blue Heaven for an out of this world breakfast and walk to Hemmingways House (if you feel the need).

Another fun thing to do (beside wander in and out of the bars and shops on Duval St. - Which is awesome) is to go to the Marina and walk around looking at the boats, going in the large market that's there and seeing all the fresh seafood, eating at B.O's Fish Market.

If you want some real fun, rent a little electric car and drive around the island stopping at the southernmost point, and definitely wander through the awesome Cemetary in the center of town. Try and find some classic headstones like, "I told you I was sick".

Top of your day with a stop in Irish Kevin's (if you are sans kids) and join in a raucus sing along with a couple of cocktails before heading back up Duval. Another great stop is Capt. Tony's Saloon (Hemmingways old hang out). It's really cool and creepy and we spent so much time in there we totally missed Sunset Celebration on our first cruise. It's near the Kino factory is my memory serves me correctly.

Lots of shops and some unique museums right near the ship dock. Plenty to do.

we're in KW from noon to 8 pm on 11/27, and docked at ***** Pier.

I am trying to remember a beach we had to drive to at a fort or military base where they said the 3 oceans (Gulf, Carib, Atlantic) converged. The beach was more sand than rocks, but not gorgeous. Still, can anyone help clarify this foggy memory for me as to where we were?

How far is Bahia Honda, is it a viable solution for a nice beach during a port stop? Taxis available?

One thing I definitely want to do is the Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square.

Archived