Hawaii Car Rental

Isaac

Question for those who have rented cars in Hawaiian ports. Did you book on the internet or on the ship? Also, how did you get from the ship to the car rental agency or were they at the pier? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your Friendly Bartender

We rented cars on several island in Hawaii last Summer and the information one gets from the rental agencies (Alamo and Hertz) was very frustrating. Each time I was told that we would have to take a taxi to the airport to pick up the car. NOT TRUE! There were shuttles at every port to take you to the cars. I would definately suggest booking in advance. The rates were better in each case that I checked. Either call the agencies or just go online. In some ports they were pretty low on choices for those who waited.

We just cruised the STAR the week of 3/28 and rented a car in every port except Hilo and Kauai. Rented through Alamo on all of the cars but only four on the internet as we didn't know about the stops in Kona or Lahaina. It was cheaper on the internet, especially using rate code 6T. Got convertibles and economy cars for same prices--not higher than $27 (not including taxes and insurance). There was a shuttle at each pier except for the Sunday we got off the Ship in Honolulu--if you rent from the ship they will have the car at the pier for an extra $5 otherwise a short cab ride will get you to the rental places which are near the airport and then when you drop off the car a shuttle will take you to the airport. I think there was a shuttle in Kona.

minnesota pam[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;3;28;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
Countin until heaven on the STAR TO HAWAII

NCL Sunward II 1986
Carnival Festivale 1989
NCL Windward 1995
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 1998
NCL Sky 2000
NCL Star 2004

We rented through Thrifty (Internet) and there were shuttles everywhere but we missed the one in Maui so had to get a taxi there.

Nick

Star 14th March 2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;3;14;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]
Wolves - Back Where We Belong!

Nick: You didn't go to Kona though, did you? I really want to know about the shuttles there because I want to be able to give good info...

Thanks,
Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

I don't know the answer to your questions, but for those of you going to Hawaii (I'm doing the Pride of Aloha cruise in March 2005), go to the Ports of Call board and then Hawaii. There are several on the board who live in Hawaii and they provide a lot of good information!

Hey...I was in town today and the Star was out there and I saw an Alamo and a Budget shuttle coming back from the airport. Also saw SpeediShuttles all over town.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

Archived