Cell phones in Bermuda

AACJ

Does anyone know if Verizon has service in Bermuda? We are cruising there at the end of this month and would like to keep in touch, but not too much in touch. And if Verizon does have service, are there any extra charges per minute for using it there?

Thanks

art

From a verizon wireless website:

To what countries can I take my Verizon Wireless phone and be able to make and receive calls?

You can use your Verizon Wireless tri-mode or all-digital phone, or Global Phone in ‘CDMA mode’, to make and receive calls in parts of Bermuda, Canada, Dominican Republic, Israel, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, and Venezuela. Your Calling Plan will determine where roaming rates apply. For more information, including a list of cities where service is available, visit VerizonWireless.com/international and select “Roam with your existing Verizon Wireless (CDMA) handset”.

I don't think Verizon has a store here though. I know that AT&T wireless and Cingular are here though.

I was able to use my cell phone in Bermuda last year as a matter of fact.

Much to my surprise since having been there the year prior to that it did not work.

I did not incur any extra charges either. Don't know how to explain that one

My service is through Verizon. I believe the year prior was with At & T but dont hold me to it. :)

Carol

• 1 month later...
From a verizon wireless website:

Notice of International Long Distance Rate Change

On July 1, 2005, standard international long distance rates will change. Countries charged at $0.65 per minute will be charged at $1.49 per minute, plus airtime. Canada and Mexico rates of $0.20 per minute will be changed to $0.49 per minute, plus airtime. Other country rates may increase or decrease.

Actually, as the original poster for this thread, I have since been to Bermuda and back AND recieved my Verizon bill. It came to about .99 cents per minute, not bad for calling from another country. Although it most likely would have been cheaper buying a calling card, I was pretty comfortable using my own equipment.

art

Actually off subject, but related, what about standard phone cards like AT&T? Do they work in Bermuda? If not, does anyone know which cards work there? I would assume they sell some there.

CruisFran: Nice to cross path with you over here again, and thanks for the info. I won't really need them, as my whole immediate family will be with us, but did want the info for others. I think my SIL will be going nuts without his cellphone, and the card may save him some money. Between me and the kids, I think we have the market covered on cell phones.

Thanks again for all your help, we're getting close!!

We just returned from Bermuda Fri, June 3rd. I have a Verizon phone, but did not use it, but it seemed to have service. My husband has a trac-fone, and had no problem using it, since it only uses 2 credits per minute, which is alot cheaper than Verizon roam charges, we chose to use that, and had not trouble with service or connections.

• 1 month later...

I was told by verizon that its .69 cents a minute plus whatever connection charge the island of bermuda charges you. I did not have service on sea days but had full service the 4 days in bermuda so it was great to be able to call friends and family and tell them about the trip so far.

I have not received the bill yet and will post the final charges when i get it.

i did use the phone a good amount of times so now im nervous to see the bill:confused:

Verizon just announced an increase which I am not sure applies to Bermuda---I hope you got the old less expensive rate...I tend to use it foir emergencies only when I am away. If you used it alot you will have a big bill even at .69 a minute it adds up..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived