Question for those that have recently boarded the Splendor

andynapril

We're going on the Splendor next month. I know I've ready lots of stuff about the boarding process, but my husband is insisting on being on board when the football game starts at 1pm. My question is what time do we need to arrive at the terminal so that he's sure to be in the sports bar by 1pm? Thanks!

We're going on the Splendor next month. I know I've ready lots of stuff about the boarding process, but my husband is insisting on being on board when the football game starts at 1pm. My question is what time do we need to arrive at the terminal so that he's sure to be in the sports bar by 1pm? Thanks!

Are you Platinum? Then no problem assuming no ship problems. We've been on the Splendor more than a few times and have always been onboard by noon...if not earlier.

If you're not Platinum then get there at least by 10 I would think. Ask where the line will be if the line isn't obvious, and get in it...or if you get there early enough start it. They did use to use the Queen Mary for early check in but some on here have said they've discontinued that.

Early check in starts at 9:30 in front of the Dome. Boarding starts around 11:30. It can take a bit of time to get into the doors and thru security at the Dome.

It is hit or miss how long it will take. We've arrived the same time for the past few cruises out of Long Beach and sometimes the wait is forever and sometimes there is no wait at all. Sometimes onboard within 15minutes, sometimes an hour. Once it was 6 hours because someone left the ship early on a seaday.:(

Sometimes the Platinum checkin is longer than the regular checkin, but there are chairs and lemonade :).

Splendor has early checkin at the front of the Dome. The Paradsie still has early checkin at the QM.

Our problem is that we have a two hour drive to get to Long Beach. We would like to go to breakfast on the way, so we're trying to figure out what time we need to arrive in LA. I don't want to be the first ones there and wait around for hours (unless that's what's necessary). So they START boarding until 11:30am? They will start check in at 9:30am? So from 9:30 on the line forms and the line starts moving at 11:30? Am I getting that right? We are not platinum - yet! One more cruise after this one. What if we arrived at 10-10:30? What if you arrive at noon?? Is the line all or mostly let in so you can check in and just board? Thanks for all the responses!

It's hard to say. We were on the Splendor July of '10. I don't remember for sure what time we got to the pier but I think it was around 10 and I believe we were group 2. They started boarding late, I'm pretty sure almost 1:00. Guests kept coming out of the building - it seemed like it would never stop. The delay had something to do with clearing customs and the non-U.S. residents not showing up at the time they were supposed to.

We were just on the Splendor again a few weeks ago. We got there at 10:00am and were group 4. Things were running smoothly though and they started boarding I think just a little before noon. I don't think it was as early as 11:30. There was a huge group that already been led through so when they did start calling zones, I think 4 was called probably within 10 minutes of the first call.

The sports bar is by the shops. I don't know if they are open right away.

Good luck!

What Sadie was saying is that you get in line and start the check in procedure at 9:30. Then you wait in the terminal for zone embarkation until 11:30 which is when they start boarding. You should be the first ones to board after weddings and Platinum. If you get there at noon, I wouldn't count on being in the sports bar for kickoff... 10:00 or 10:30, you should be fine.

Bob

Yeah - my husband is wondering the same thing.

We live in San Diego and will be on the Splendor Nov. 20th. The Chargers play at 1:15 that day.

I guess he'll be looking for the sports bar too. :-)

We're from San Diego as well and didn't even think about arriving early to see football but that is a great idea.

When we cruised last year we got there at Carnival's "suggested check in time" and had a line that was at least 1,500 people long luckily for us my parents knew people in line so we joined them (trust me, if you had seen the line you would have too :D).

This time they aren't traveling with us so our plan is to get there early as well. It looks like the Chargers play at 1:15 the day we leave so I think we will be in the sports bar as well. :p

Howdy,

Sailed on the splendor in May, and from all of my research and reading I think we literally hit the sweet spot. We drove down from Sacramento a couple of days earlier and were staying at our in laws condo at Newport Beach.

Sunday morning, we all loaded in the van and hit the 405 at about 1030am, 25 minute drive and in the parking garage at about 1055 am, dropped everyone off in the garage with the luggage (on the bottom floor there is a load/unload zone with porters) at 11am.. Checked in early check in right before it closed at a little after 11am. We got zone 5. It looked like a lot of people in front of us. They announced boarding over the PA system at about 1140am. (all of the carnival rep's in red t-shirts were saying boarding would start at noon). We were on the ship in about 20 minutes. Im looking at the time stamp from my digital photo's and we were crossing the "bridge" to enter the ship from the dome at 1154am.

One of the most smoothest embarkation we have ever experienced. Like I said, I think we got lucky and just got the timing right. Coming from San Diego, my plan would be to leave about 7am, eat breakfast somewhere with expected arrival at 1030 am, check in. One person wait in line at the zone you receive while others walk around and shop, there is a small little shopping area or go take photo's of the ship or queen mary. Board the ship.

Hope this helps.

Just thought I should warn you...

I believe the network stations on these ships are based out of either Denver or Miami. I don't believe that you'll see the Charger game unless it's the national game AND the local team for the network feed (the dreaded Broncos or Dolphins in this case) is NOT playing at the same time!

You might have to do a feed on a wireless card and watch the game on a laptop, if you know ho to do that.

Sorry:mad:

We did early check in on Paradise on the 10th. When we we started boarding, they let Platinum early check-ins first, then regular disabled, then Zones. Those who missed Early check in had to wait for us to get on board, then they were allowed to check in. Friends who came late didn't get aboard until 3 pm.

Archived