Progresso Beach - Help

mnsawyer

Not sure what we are going to do in Progresso - looking for some information on the beach at Progresso. Have seen photos and there are tiki huts with tables, etc. What about lounge chair under the huts? Does it cost to rent chairs, etc. Also, what about restrooms, etc. Assume there are lots of restaurants on the beach? Can anyone recommend a good spot to go for a few hours - looking for a spot to relax, sun under some shade, restrooms and maybe a drink or two. Can you walk along the beach for a ways?

The beach is about 3 blocks from the shoping area where the bus drops you off. There is a street along the beach and there are restaurants along the other side. I think there is about a mile of beach stands and restaurants. There was a double decker bus that gives tours of the beach for about $2/person. You can walk around the area and it is interesting.

Also check Progreso on the ports of call board.

HI! We went to Progesso for Spring Break 2004 and again in January 2005.

The beach and water are very pretty. One of the locals told us that we could use their lounge chairs for a small fee and he proceeded to wipe them down and move them for us.

We found out later that we really didn't have to pay anything for them. (But it's prob a good thing we did!)

It was a beautiful area. The entire time we were there,

the locals offered to sell us anything and everything, over and over. There were a few restaurants and a small

convenience store across the street from the beach.

The MOST important thing you need to do is to take SMALL BILLS with you for this beach. We were unable to get

change from ANYONE, even the conv. store.

Thus, we didn't buy much. I refused to be conned into

spending more $ because they didn't want to give me change! (Tried to buy a few bottles of water with a $20 bill; they claimed they didn't have change.....granted, it was first thing in the morning....maybe they didn't!)

There were many cruise people like us there and we felt

safe. Last year, a band was set up playing music.

People were selling beer, and there were many

hut/unbrella covered street vendor carts, etc.

They were selling hats, tshirts, jewelry, food, drinks,

temporary tattoos, etc.

I never could get my phone cards to work from this area to call home.

There were people collecting for charity too.

A very old woman dressed up like a nurse stands out in my memory.

My FAVORITE was the singing/guitar playing man.

He played LaBamba for us.........he did a great job.

We tipped him a few $. He earned it.

He was there both days we were. (The SAME guy!)

We were in Progresso in October last year. We went to the beach to hang out. We got hooked up for everything we needed though a bar & restaurant called "Buddys". The owner/management is Dutch, the food was really good, they have tables across the Malecon (street) right on the beach with umbrellas, and lounge chairs. The waiter kept us in drinks (many complimentry) and food all day. Myself and a freind left the men there and hit some of the little shops & carts along the street. This day was probably one of the best on our whole cruise. Many people say this was how Cozumel was 15 or so years ago before it became so commercialized.

Archived