FREE handicapped parking at port of Miami

gogetter

Hello,

After complaints on another thread i decided to start this one.

I called 305-347-5515 and spoke to a lady named Anna. She said parking is free to disabled people displaying the blue placard-lanyard, you know the thing that hangs from your rear view mirror.

Just an FYI that may help.

Hello,

I called 305-347-5515 and spoke to a lady named Anna. She said parking is free to disabled people displaying the blue placard-lanyard, you know the thing that hangs from your rear view mirror.

Yes, this absolutely is true. You still get the ticket when entering, but then sign an exemption reciept when checking out.

From what i understand, Miami is the only Florida port that does this. So NO to Tampa.

Cruzaholic. when leaving, you state you must sign an exemption receipt. If i drop off and pick up my disabled wife and then go park, can i sign or does it have to be her? If her, how far is the garage from the baggage drop off area?

thank you,

From what i understand, Miami is the only Florida port that does this. So NO to Tampa.

Cruzaholic. when leaving, you state you must sign an exemption receipt. If i drop off and pick up my disabled wife and then go park, can i sign or does it have to be her? If her, how far is the garage from the baggage drop off area?

thank you,

If it is your wifes sticker then she will have to be with you. She will also need identification from the state that issued the placard (should be a card or something that she received when she got the placard, a placard by itself does not work) with her name on it saying that she is the handicap person and she will also need a picture id.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

But the person has to be in the car. I dropped my dad off at the front door, because he has trouble walking (why he has a placard!!!!). They made me go get him even though I had my funpass with his name and the permit that allows him to have handicap parking. I told them he had trouble walking, hence I dropped him off at the front door. I had to go get him and made him walk all the way to the terminal!! Just a little backwards if you ask me!!

thank you,

See the other post I made. They made me go pick up my Dad even though I had his name on the funpass, it was his car (had his registration and his permit for the placard)!!! Worth the savings though!

I'm going to say this then put on my flame retardant suit.

I think the free parking thing is wrong.

Why... should the parking be free?

Most are wanting to drop the person off, then go park.

Explain why you..the driver needs a handicap spot anyway?

And FREE on top of that?

With that being said... If I had the tag,.. sure I would play the system too.

I'm going to say this then put on my flame retardant suit.

I think the free parking thing is wrong.

Why... should the parking be free?

Most are wanting to drop the person off, then go park.

Explain why you..the driver needs a handicap spot anyway?

And FREE on top of that?

With that being said... If I had the tag,.. sure I would play the system too.

i too will be suiting up....as i agree...this is wrong. is it not enough that the best parking spots up close are handicap. why should they be free? that's silly if you ask me. but then the whole handicap placard has run wild if you ask me or anyone waiting in line at any amusement park etc.

FREE! WOW, that's ridiculous.:eek:

**zipping up suit*** with conchead!

Edited by Almost Packed

NOT TRUE cause FT Lauderdale (Port Everglades) also does it. The vehicle has to have certain things per their website:

any vehicle with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by the person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker, is exempt from any parking fees in Port Everglades.

You will need to have the drivers license of the handicap person, the vehicle registration (we have a handicap tag on our vehicle, no hang tag), fill out the card and sign. Just did this last week at Port Everglades.

Edited by Swampbaby

OK, for those in the know...how far is the parking garage from the baggage drop off or where you would board?

Thank you,

It is not very far from the parking garages to the ship. However, there is a shuttle bus (free) that takes you from the garage to the ship and vice versa when you come back from the cruise.

Just a note for all the people who think they should not give free parking to handicaped persons. You may be surprised to hear that those with handicap tags do not pay to park anywhere in Miami, that includes city garages, parking meters, etc. etc. I think it's nice of the city to give that perk to handicapped drivers. I just hope that I will never need a handicap tag for myself. I'll pay the parking fees.

Hello,

If it is your wifes sticker then she will have to be with you. She will also need identification from the state that issued the placard (should be a card or something that she received when she got the placard, a placard by itself does not work) with her name on it saying that she is the handicap person and she will also need a picture id.

But the person has to be in the car. I dropped my dad off at the front door, because he has trouble walking (why he has a placard!!!!). They made me go get him even though I had my funpass with his name and the permit that allows him to have handicap parking. I told them he had trouble walking, hence I dropped him off at the front door. I had to go get him and made him walk all the way to the terminal!! Just a little backwards if you ask me!!

A little bit pro and con on this one... This is all at the Port of Miami...

On one cruise we had Mom (who has the Handicap Placard) with us, dropped her off at the terminal and then paid for parking because she wasn't in the car with us... BUT, after the cruise was over, she was able to make a copy of the receipt, her boarding pass, her license etc, mail it away and got a check back from the State...

On the next cruise, also Miami, my husband took Mom with him to park the car. Mom had to show her boarding pass, her license etc and parking was free. By the way, there are Handicap parking spaces literally across the street from the boat (that sounds funny :) )

I too don't understand why if you are dropped off at the terminal, is parking free???? The person who is actually driving and parking the car isn't handicap.. Now, on the other hand, when it is just my Mom & Dad cruising (Dad also has his own handicap card) and they have to drive AND PARK the car themselves and not be dropped off at the terminal, then I think parking should be free....

OK... THIS IS JUST MY OPINION....

I guess I'm confused as to why handicapped parking should be free if regular parking requires a fee. I thought handicapped parking was an accommodation for those with physical limitations. What does that have to do with money?

I guess I'm confused as to why handicapped parking should be free if regular parking requires a fee. I thought handicapped parking was an accommodation for those with physical limitations. What does that have to do with money?

careful. Wondering that makes you a handicap hater and selfish.

Thank you for all the info........all i was trying to do was help and pass along information.

After a few soap boxes...here i go............

Who really cares if handicapped parking is free> All it was, was information, if it applies use it...if it doesn't let it go.......

As far as dropping off at the terminal.......isn't that the right or helpful thing to do? So what if i am driving and not the disabled person. A disabled person was transported in the vehicle and is paying money for a cruise. If it is free, then hey, I am not going to make my wife uncomfortable because a few people here THINK she should park herself. Hey i know, i will let her pack and lug all the bags too.....i might as well make her wait on me too.

Anyways........we will use it..........thanks again for the helpful comments...

The idea that anyone would have a problem with this is offensive and shows just how petty people are. I take my father in-law who is confined to a wheelchair on cruises with us. He does not drive, but one of us has to push him from parking lot. That fact that it is a little shorter distance than the rest of you walk is a small consulation. Which of you want to give up your mobility for free parking! :mad:

You are probably the same people that jump in the elevators to go 1 floor, while people in wheelchairs sit and wait.

Sandgnat,

In Florida's jurisdiction, the permit in your fathers name allows him to use a designated handicapped spot for the vehicle he is parking (or a passenger in as it's parked). If someone else is driving my car (I have a blue hangtag) and drops me off at the door of the place I am visiting, then parks my car for me, they are not allowed to use a designated handicapped spot. Not flaming, just explaining the rules as they were given to me when I was given my HC placard.

Edited by Snorkel2Much

He does not drive, but one of us has to push him from parking lot.

Then you should drop him off.

In Florida, you are in violation of the law if you use his hang tag. You may however park in a handicap space to unload and load your father in law no permit is required for this. You may also park in a handicap spot (displaying his placard) for up to thirty minutes. If you use his placard to obtain free parking, you are breaking the law and stealing a space meant for someone that has a disability who drove themselves to the port.

The Port of Miami offers free parking to the disabled as a courtesy. They are NOT required to by law. The only places required by law to give free parking to the disabled are metered municipal spaces (maximum 4 hours) and theme parks. Free parking must also be offered in convention centers, cruise port terminals, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums and auditoriums along with airports and city or municipal garages if the vehicle has had a modification (ramps, levers, lifts, etc.).

Yogi