Bermuda Transportation

Optifire

We will be going on the Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda on May 15th and was wondering if anyone could give us the best way that they found to get around while in Bermuda. We have read so much about the bus passes for $11.00 a day and @23.00 for three days. Are they worth purchasing or did you find a better way to get around? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Happy Seas.

CARNIVAL FANTASY

APRIL 27, 2003

FREEPORT AND NASSAU

CARNIVAL SENSATION

OCTOBER 13, 2003

GRAND CAYMAN AND COZUMEL

The buses are very reasonable. Should you decide to take a personalized tour of the Island, we walked off the ship and there was a few men that you could hire.

We hired a lovely older man, smartly dressed, very clean right at the the pier. His name is "Princeon" Like PRINCETON, without the "T". He was a native of Bermuda, very soft spoken and knowledgable of the island.

Ooh,... I'm jealous you are going, and not me again!!

Or there are plenty of cabs avail. We ended up taking a cab out to Horseshoe Bay.

Hi-The bus pass is definitely worth the money and also includes the ferries between ports.The only thing about taking the bus to Horseshoe Bay beach is that there is a bit of a walk from where the bus lets you off.Not too bad walking down to the beach but coming back up the path to catch the bus was difficult for my mother and husband.The cabs will take you right down,though.As the previous poster stated,the Bermudians are very willing to show you around their lovely island.You will love Bermuda.

Go the Buss pass route.

They go everywhere on the island.

Great way to see the people and look out as your bus goes from place to place.

Tried the bikes one time - did not do well.

The main bus terminal is in the middle of Hamilton about two streets up from the ship.

Next - Millennium - The wait begins anew. icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Alway booked and waiting...

icon_biggrin.gif

We took the bus the first day at Bermuda. What a nightmare. There are no sidewalks, we had to stand along side of the road ( which are very narrow). Unless you are going from city to city, I would not take the bus. Also the local school kids ride the public buses with you. Not much room, cramped, hot etc. We originally bought a 3 day pass, and ended up renting mopeds. These were fun but a bit nerve racking also. I would either pay the extra and get a taxi or rent a moped.

Thank you all so much for the insight. Went to the Transportation sight and read up on the buses. However still confused about the zone thing. Can anyone help me out with which zone pass would be the best one to take. Is it the more zones, the further you can go? Which pass did you find was the best? We want to be able to explore everywhwere, so would the three day pass be the best, do you think? Thanks again.

CARNIVAL FANTASY

APRIL 27, 2003

FREEPORT AND NASSAU

CARNIVAL SENSATION

OCTOBER 13, 2003

GRAND CAYMAN AND COZUMEL

We've sailed to Bermuda a couple times. On our first trip we bought the multi-day bus pass, which includes the ferry service, and used it faithfully to get around from St. Georges (where we were docked) to the Dock Yard, and places in between.

On our last trip, my husband insisted we rent a scooter. I know, I know -- the cruiselines don't encourage you doing this because the roads are narrow and winding, plus they drive on the opposite of the road but we still rented one. We thoroughly enjoyed having the scooter and many people do rent them. We parked our scooter right on the dock off the ship and there were lots of scooters parked there too.

We found having the scooter great because we could go off the main roads and explore areas where the bus doesn't run...

Just my opinion. Enjoy!

Cruise%20Ship.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Since we sailed the NCL Majesty to Bermuda...

Norwegian Majesty - 2003 (Bermuda)

Carnival Paradise - 2003 (Western Caribbean)

Norwegian Majesty - 2000 (Bermuda)

Carnival Celebration - 1995 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Ecstasy - 1993 (Bahamas)

Carnival Fantasy - 1992 (Bahamas)

Optifire,

Here's another suggestion if you like to walk. When in St. Georges, we walked everywhere. You can get off the ship and walk into town square, get an ice cream cone, watch the festivities. We got up early and watched the ship dock, then walked to Fort St. Catherine's beach. You walk past Tobacco Bay beach, which is nice, but can get crowded because it's small. It's a beautiful walk if you're up to it, if you are too tired to walk back, you can pile into a taxi for a ride back (it's not very expensive - short distance by car). St. Georges is my favorite, very laid back and on you way back to the ship, there are shops to see and souvenirs to buy. I GOTTA get there soon!

If you are there three days,then the 3 day pass would be the way to go.It will give you unlimited travel between all zones on the bus and ferry routes and is more economical than purchasing tokens for each trip.

We rented scooters on our honeymoon in 1970--we each got a bike that needed pedalling to start and to help the small motor when we went up hills.

On our 25th anniversary trip in 1995, we rented one larger scooter to share, which I preferred because I could read the map while my husband drove, and we could talk. I'd recommend one with a large enough storage compartment to lock both helmets in when you're walking around.

We plan to go back to Bermuda in 2020 for our 50th annniversary, but I don't think we'll rent a scooter at ages 70 and 72. DH says we will.

I spent 13 days in Bermuda about 9 years ago, and we got the 30 day bus pass and used it a lot! It was very good, except for two things.

The first has already been noted, that the bus routes don't go everywhere, so you might miss some places you would have otherwise seen.

The second was that some of the non-central routes stopped running kind of early. Since we stayed out a ways from town, we couldn't take the bus after about 9PM. This may not be an issue in a cruise situation, since you would be heading INTO town in the evening.

I would like to add that I really enjoyed the bus experience. When we were there, it was expected to greet the driver upon boarding (just a simple "good morning" or "good afternoon") and to thank the driver upon exiting. The driver didn't give a big response, mostly just a nod, but everyone did this, even the school kids (even when a long line boarded, each one!), and after seeing it, I would have felt rude not doing it as well.

Do be careful if you do the mopeds. A friend of mine was there on a cruise and wrecked hers into a brick wall! And the local paper often has stories of folks suffering from "road rash" after a moped mishap.

Lots of fun memories, I need to get back there again!

Theron

click to e-mail me

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Archived