Does the upgrade fairy still exist?

jmjpro

I have never expected an upgrade, so I don't get disappointed, however, the upsell fairy paid me an awesome visit, and I am so grateful! Went from an Inside to a Balcony for $70 total on a 7 day!

Wow! That is really a nice upsell.

I was upgrade from the upper balconey to lido balcony last year on the Glory. Recently our TA added someone to our group and in the process we were upgraded from Main deck balconies to Verandah balconies on a Miracle December sailing. In 2002 we were upgrade from ocean view to the spa deck ocean view on the Victory when it had ceiling to floor windows. That was an upgrade to remember because it was my grandmother's last cruise and she died three months later of pancreatic cancer. She wasn't able to get off of the ship however, she had been to the ports previously and could see the islands from the cabin.

Been on 23 cruises, Was able to upgrade @ pier on Disney Cruise, Was upgraded at pier during check in once on Carnival, Upsold on the Dream, and was upgraded to the cabin from He** once. So they do both exist, although they run out of dust sometimes. LOL

Aside from a very nice upgrade from a guarantee on HAL coming up, I've never had any upgrades or upsells. However, I jump around cruise lines, since I care about the ports more than the ship experience so am unlikely ever to build up any large number of loyalty points.

We got a free upgrade on P&O Australia from a window cabin on upper deck to a mini suite and also from an inside upper deck to an outside window cabin upper deck.

The Mini suite upgrade was fantastic! After the steward showed us the cabin and left we were both jumping up and down on the bed like little kids:D

You get treated a bit different when you are in a suite,first night at dinner anytime dinning we were asked our cabin number and after that we were always greeted by name as we walked in for dinner with cabin number remembered as we left in case we wanted to book same time next night.

The bath tub was great fun in rough seas:)

I think the upgrade was a once in a lifetime and cruising has never been quite the same in a normal cabin:(

Who gets a call from the upgrade fairy? I booked my cruise on travelocity. Do I have to book with carnival to get a call?

Your TA would have to call you and sometimes they do and sometimes they will not bother.

BTW not supposed to mention the name of your TA on here.

Nov will be my 3rd cruise with Carnival.....and I did get an UPSELL EMAIL....

We booked ES, very early...3 cabins on the Fantasy (Thanksgiving)....large porthole cabins on deck 7....got a price drop late in the summer (-$50pp sweeeet!)

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I got an email offer to move to an Oceanview cabin (no balconys on this ship) for $50 (total, per cabin, $25pp)....so, my first thought was...yeah, sure...probably in one of the lower decks....but I called anyway, to see what they were offering....

They offered us 3 side by side OV cabins on deck 7!! So, of course we took them..........even by 'past passenger' rates, we saved almost $300 per cabin....and overall, paid less than our original PT booking

(and yes, I did check....these cabins are NOT under the galley....I've read some pretty ugly stories about those cabins)

I think it was a good deal....

No call from the UPGRADE fairy..but we did get a call from the UPSELL fairy with an amazing deal for our honeymoon earlier this month.

We went from Inside Cabin on Deck 1 to Unobstructed Balcony on Deck 8 for $116 per person..that included the taxes and insurance upgrade as well.

Four our first cruise, my wife and I booked a mini-suite on Princess on their 11 day Baltic cruise. A couple of weeks before the trip we got an e-mail upgrading us to a penthouse suite, complete with all the bells and whistles (the best was the free internet). Not sure why we got the lift, we are now spoiled for life.

The last free upgrade we got was about 5 years ago. From a balcony to a suite. We didn't even get a call. We always book ourselves online. I was just online checking my account maybe two weeks before we cruise, and found that the room # had been changed. I called up "oh, you've been upgraded to a suite." Ok.....thanks! That's the last free one we have gotten.

In my short cruising life (1 cruise in oct 2010, and one that just ended this monday) I have never had an upsell fairy call, HOWEVER, me and the wife just noticed about a week ago that our December Cruise out of San Juan on Adventure OTS was upgraded from an inside to a Balcony. No call, no nothing, just noticed it while checking something online.

We had one upgrade/upsell (sort of) on Holland America. It was right after 9/11 and we had been booked in a varandh, Cat. A. on the Rotterdam for 10 day pre Christmas cruise.

It was getting close to the sailing date and I noticed that one of the Penthouses was not yet booked. I called my TA and asked them to check with HAL to see what they wanted for an upgrade. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. When the TA called us back, she said we could have it for an additional $500 each! My mom was traveling with us so the total upgrade was $1500 for the 10 day cruise. I said yes and it was really great, my mother still talks about it.

Archived