Where to buy gear???

Blind Squirrel

We got our open water and advanced certifications in St. Maarten, and have done a fair bit of diving there. We are from Canada, and find the price of gear to be cheaper here than in St. Maarten. We have bought most of our gear from one dive shop and they always give us a good price, but then we are a family of 4 scuba divers, so we have bought a lot of gear.:D Also since scuba gear is a long term investment, there is some comfort in knowing that if we have problems with any of our gear the dive shop is close to home.

Ed, you will find that gear on the Caribbean islands is typically more expensive than most other places. Most the scuba instructors order their gear online from places like Leisurepro or ScubaToys.

The other option, if you are buying things you want to see or try on first, would be Florida. If you are going on a cruise which sails out of Florida there are literally hundreds of shops up and down the coast. I think one of the places a shop owner here complains about is The Dive Source. She says it is like the Walmart of dive shops. They have a huge selection at hard to beat prices.

As far as online stores go, I like ScubaToys. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They also have forums (find the link from the website) and by just being a forum member (mention your forum name when you are purchasing) you get a 10% discount. If you need help selecting gear, Larry or Joe (the owners) are incredibly helpful. You can send them a private message via the forums, email them directly or call the shop in Dallas (Carrollton actually).

• 2 weeks later...

Although the closest shop is 1-1/2 hours away, there are a couple of things I would consider getting there if you were ever headed in that direction. One would be the face mask to make sure you get one that fits properly. The second item (IMHO) would be the regulator. That way, they can service it every year, or before you go on a diving trip if they are less frequent. Alternatively, you can ship the regulator back to be checked by someone more distant if you buy it online. I have a narrow face, and masks are not as easy to come by, and I figure my life depends on my regulator. I admit that I am close to a dive shop, so that makes it easier for me, but I think there are some other considerations at least as to some of the equipment.

I've bought from leisurpro (NY) and scuba.com (LA), both are good. I'm also on scubaboard and have heard lots of good things about scubatoys.

While in Florida, Divers Direct is like a scuba outlet store. Lots of selections and very good price. You can also order online from them.

Since a lot of cruises leave from Miami or FLL, if you cruise out of there, you can go a day early to shop at Divers Direct.

After sea diving, the regulators should be cleaned and/or serviced. That's where knowing a local dive shop to do that would be good.

I wish I had the nerve to do the scuba, I panicked one time 30 yrs ago and gave up.

But anywho, I was reading that it's good to have your own mask and snorkle for that activity and will be sailing in a few weeks. Do any of the stores still stock this off season equipment? I'm in NY and the above listed places look like websites (can't try on mask).

Are you permitted to just go in the water and start snorkling by yourself or should you always be with a tour/guide?

What does the little exclamation point in a white triangle mean.

Are there directions on this website for how to post , how to interpret lingo like DH, etc....? Chris

I wish I had the nerve to do the scuba, I panicked one time 30 yrs ago and gave up.

But anywho, I was reading that it's good to have your own mask and snorkle for that activity and will be sailing in a few weeks. Do any of the stores still stock this off season equipment? I'm in NY and the above listed places look like websites (can't try on mask).

Are you permitted to just go in the water and start snorkling by yourself or should you always be with a tour/guide?

What does the little exclamation point in a white triangle mean.

Are there directions on this website for how to post , how to interpret lingo like DH, etc....? Chris

Hey Chris,

Things have change a lot in 30 years. There are some shops who are still populated with good divers but lousy instructors but there are plenty of shops with good instructors. You can always try a Discover Scuba Diving course. It is only an hour of prep work then some fun in the pool. If you don't like it, try another shop.

Most shops up here (I'm in Ontario) sell equipment to people going on vacation. They also do Disciver Scuba Diving classes. Some will also do class and pool work for people getting certified in the Caribbean or for people who will finish in the Spring.

Best why to understand stuff on this site is to ask. DH is short for Dear Husband, SO is for Significant Other, DW for Dear Wife, etc.

I'm not sure but I think if someone posts an offensive message you can click the triangle with the exclamation mark to report it.

Archived