Suggeston for Seattle visitors

chewap

We are driving to San Francisco after our cruise out of vancouver. Please tell me your best things about your trip to SF. On planning the trip so far we just dont have enough time! 6 days. Did you stay around the redwood forrest? if so where.? Any personal experience would be helpful. Thanks

We are driving to San Francisco after our cruise out of vancouver. Please tell me your best things about your trip to SF. On planning the trip so far we just dont have enough time! 6 days. Did you stay around the redwood forrest? if so where.? Any personal experience would be helpful. Thanks

We stoped the first night and stayed in Astoria at the Red Lion Inn and got a room that over looks the river..Very nice room..bed was one of the high ones..makes you feel like Skarlet O'hara..We drove down Rt 101 and stopped at various places. Great Cheese shops. I won't go into a lot of detail here, but if you email me..I will be glad to provide you with all the rooms we stayed at..the places we stopped at and prices and everything else you could want..We had a wonderful time! My email is dlmyers@sssnet.com Email me if you want more facts and details..Yes, we drove through the redwood forest also! Amazing place..

There are quite a few hotels in downtown Seattle. If you don't want to pay too much, try the Travelodge at 2213 8th Avenue, or Springhill Suites at 1800 Yale Avenue - both are under $90 a night, Travelodge is the closest to Seattle Center. There is also a Comfort Suites at 601 Roy Ave. Most folks we know like to stay at the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union (206) 447-9500 (1150 Fairview Ave N) but it books up fast and is more expensive, but what a view of Lake Union (You would definitely have to take a bus or cab to get downtown). Travelodge is the most centrally located and easier to get to Pike Place, but it's not much to look at, at least on the outside! Seattle buses are free in the downtown zone during rush hour. Remember that Seattle streets can be quite steep! You may want to walk down and take a bus back up! Have a wonderful time on your cruise and enjoy our beautiful city during your stay!

May I also add that the Silver Cloud will haul you just about anywhere you want to go. Just let them know what time and to where you want to go and its that easy. Make arrangements for the return trip or call when you are ready to come back and you can't beat a deal like this. Plus the rooms with a balcony view overlooking the Lake is awesome.....Roy

My family will be staying at the Silver Cloud Lake Union next week. My son is stationed in Tacoma (Air Force). He is getting married. I was wondering if there are any restaurants/shops near Silver Cloud Lake Union?

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Seattle for 5 nights in September. Its our first stop of a 9 week holiday and our first time in North America. Vancouver is our next stop after Seattle and I am currently undecided whether to fly to Vancouver or take the train. Has anyone done the train trip, and is it worth the extra travel time?

Thank you to all those who have posted suggestions for sightseeing in Seattle - I've taken lots of notes.

My family will be staying at the Silver Cloud Lake Union next week. My son is stationed in Tacoma (Air Force). He is getting married. I was wondering if there are any restaurants/shops near Silver Cloud Lake Union?

There are a number of restaurants on the lakefront within a 5-10 min. walk of the hotel. Seafood, steaks, sushi; plenty on offer. There are some shops, mostly small scale/neighborhood stuff, on Eastlake Avenue, two blocks east of the Silver Cloud.

We will be in Seattle for 5 nights in September. Its our first stop of a 9 week holiday and our first time in North America. Vancouver is our next stop after Seattle and I am currently undecided whether to fly to Vancouver or take the train. Has anyone done the train trip, and is it worth the extra travel time?

Thank you to all those who have posted suggestions for sightseeing in Seattle - I've taken lots of notes.

Actually, counting travel time to the airport, security screening, then travel into central Vancouver from YVR, the train is not all that much slower. It's nice scenic ride; highly recommended. Remember there's only one train a day, at 7:45 AM; all the other listings on the Amtrak schedule are buses. Not fun.

Jenny & Dave,

I see you have a 14 day Carib cruise in November, so I assume your plans are to work your way across the US & Canada to catch the Sea Princess on November 5. I do not know the answer to your question regarding travel from Seattle to Vancouver -- we will be taking the Quick Shuttle from Vancouver to Seattle in May. If you want to research this option, google "quick shuttle vancouver" - I used to have the link, but have discarded it.

But what I really wanted to say was don't miss some of the US National Parks like Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Grand Canyon to name just a few; they are a million times better than the cities in my opinion. :)

What are your plans for the nine weeks?

What would be the ideal spot for watching the 4th of July fireworks?

Any places to avoid? Any inside places in case of rain?

I assume you mean in Seattle. It's not a holiday in Canada.

If so, then by far the best place is to book onto one of Argosy Cruises' boats that leave the central waterfront, cruise around the harbor, then through the locks and into Lake Union, parking right under the great fireworks show that's staged on the lake. http://www.argosycruises.com

Otherwise, if you're staying at one of the hotels on Lake Union, just walk out onto your balcony or any outdoor area.

My thanks to all who replied regarding train Vs plane Seattle to Vancouver - decision made to take the train :)

Gloria F

Our plans for the 9 weeks are: Seattle to catch up with my brother (1st time in 4 years); Vancouver for a few days then drive to Calgary; Calgary to Toronto - we will meet friends for the first time (CruiseLady). We have been corresponding via email, snail mail and phone calls for almost 9 years but never met. For a month we will use their home as home base and combine time with them and touring around Ontario & Quebec, then travel with them to Fort Lauderdale, few days there before the cruise then San Francisco with other friends for a week, then home. :D Need I say that there is a great deal of excitement in the air :)

Gardyloo or anyone else with greater knowledge than I have (doesn't take much!). :)

I'm looking for a good, inexpensive restaurant close to the convention center, for breakfast and/or lunch, for about 15 people.

Any thoughts?

Bonnie

for lunch the Cheesecake Factory is across the street from the convention center. great lunch menu variety ranging in price from $10 and up.

Gardyloo or anyone else with greater knowledge than I have (doesn't take much!). :)

I'm looking for a good, inexpensive restaurant close to the convention center, for breakfast and/or lunch, for about 15 people.

Any thoughts?

Bonnie

There's a curious lack of good breakfast places, especially ones that could handle 15, close to the convention center - there's Von's - a block from the center on Pine - which is okay for breakfast, not so hot for the rest of the day, then there are some hotel restaurants - the breakfast buffet at the Sheraton is wonderful, but hotel-priced.

I probably would just do a Starbux muffin for brekkies, then go for lunch someplace around the Pacific Place shopping center (2 blocks from the center) - numerous okay places including Il Fornaio for great Italian food (it's a chain, but so what) or, if folk are especially hungry and/or unfamiliar with Japanese food, hit Todai, a great (California chain) Asian buffet - sushi, hot dishes, surprisingly high quality - also at Pacific Place. I think you should phone them to see how easy seating 15 would be, especially if it's during a convention or busy day. That's a large group by anybody's standards.

Gardyloo and Loves2cruise, thanks for the tips. I found out that the breakfast idea was scrapped, and they want to do lunch.

I'd actually thought about the Cheesecake Factory, because it would be the most convenient (they'll all be in town for a conference and time will be tight), but every time I've ever passed by, there's been a line out the door.

Gardyloo, I didn't realize Pacific Place was so close. They also have that brewery, which has pretty good food and is a definite consideration. Funny you should mention Todai. I first discovered Todai in Portland, and was so happy when they built in Seattle (I haven't tried the one in Redmond, but hear it's even bigger). I'll be going to dinner there for my upcoming birthday (it's free, with ID). :)

Thanks again!

Bonnie

Are the fireworks on the actual 4th or on the weekend before. Will be staying on Lake Union Friday the first and Saturday the second. Anything special on those days/nights?

On the 4th. You can go to Canada for Canada Day on the 1st, but AFAIK there are no fireworks in Vancouver on the 1st any more. They used to be great.

St Helens: From SEA to Castle Rock (I-5 exit) is a solid 90 minutes of driving, without traffic. From Castle Rock, it is a 90 minute drive to Johnston Ridge lookout (if it's open - due to volcanic activity check ahead), where you look right onto the NW face of the mountain, and down into the crater. However, there are several exhibits, museums, and viewpoints along the way, which take additional time. I'd say the minimum round trip SEA-St. Helens-SEA would be 6-8 hours - a full day. But it's very cool - definitely worth it (we go every time we have visitors).

Rainier: sort of close to St. Helens, but not really. It offers close-up views of glaciers, rivers, and lots of people. Paradise visitor area also has amazing wildflower displays throughout the summer, and is worth the visit. Again you're looking at nearly a full day to do SEA-Rainier-SEA, if you plan to do any stopping, driving in the park (speed limit 30 or 40 mph), or walking.

If you just want to 'see' Rainier, you can get a good glimpse from most of the SEA area, I-5, etc. if you have a clear day. No need to go for a long drive.

Doing both Rainier and St. Helens in the same day would be possible, but long, and could be overkill.

Alternatively, I encourage SEA cruisers with time on their hands to think about flying into PDX, renting a car, and driving north on I-5. You get to see another cool city (Portland) with great views of Mt. Hood, possibly stop off in the Columbia River Gorge, then move northward right past St. Helens and Rainier on your way to SEA. Distance between PDX and SEA is 180 miles - 3 hours of easy freeway driving, if you miss rush hours.

Enjoy our beautiful part of the country!

The I-5-Castle Rock way to get to MT St Helens is the long way- adds 200 miles on to your trip. the short way is just SE of Tacoma going thru the town of Morton. take a left in town and it goes to Mt Rainier. Straight South thru Morton goes to MT St Helens. You will be driving in the middle of the Blast area for about 45 miles to Johnson Ridge. You can do Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens in one day, but a better way to do it is book a room at Paridise If you are coming into Seattle that day- 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours drive depending on the traffic in Tacoma. Then the next day tour Mt Rainier and go to Mt St Helens- entrance is about 30 minutes from Paridise.

Archived