Embassy Suites Isla Verde was nice

odiesam

After reading many reviews of the San Juan hotels I was worried about getting some overpriced musty-smelling need of renovation room. This was not the case here at the Embassy Suites at Isla Verde. We stayed one night pre-cruise, the night before Easter Sunday. We booked at the government rate (my husband really does work for the govt) but the front desk never asked for an id. It was a 5 minute ride from the airport. The honored my request for a room on a higher floor (had heard reports of it being noisy). There were no English language problems, the gentleman at the front desk helped us order a pizza from Dominos as he overheard other family members talking about it as we were checking in close to 11:30 pm. My husband and I played a few slots and won a little (which was much better than we did on the Golden Princess slots!). The morning buffet was only average but it was quick and easy to get a taxi to the port from there which was maybe a 15 minute ride.

This Embassy Suites was a typical Embassy Suites and actually in much better shape than many I have stayed at in the states. I believe it was a few blocks from the beach - we could see the beach from the view from our window. The area looked safe. The pool area was small but looked nice.

No one slept on the sofa bed as there were only 3 of us and we had the 2 double beds.

We did not arrive until close to 11:30 pm at night so we weren't able to take advantage of the free cocktails but I believe the gentleman checking us in said it was 5 - 7 pm (but not completely sure).

Thank goodness somebody had something positive to say about the Embassy Suites at Isla Verde!:p I was beginning to get worried that the only decent hotel I was going to find in San Juan for a Jan. 7th sailing on the Golden was going to be at the Ritz Carlton.:eek: There is quite a price difference between the two! Thanks for letting me know this.... I won't waste any more energy worrying about staying in a "roach motel":cool: .

• 7 months later...
Thank goodness somebody had something positive to say about the Embassy Suites at Isla Verde!:p I was beginning to get worried that the only decent hotel I was going to find in San Juan for a Jan. 7th sailing on the Golden was going to be at the Ritz Carlton.:eek: There is quite a price difference between the two! Thanks for letting me know this.... I won't waste any more energy worrying about staying in a "roach motel":cool: .

HopSingh,

I just changed my hotel from Hampton to Embassy Suites. We are on the Golden on the 7th as well.

I am using my Hilton points for this stay. ES wasn't available when I initially booked Hampton Inn but I checked today and was able to cancel HI and book ES.

I think we will be there in time for happy hour! See you there!

calliecat

I ended up prepaying for a king bed executive floor suite with a balcony and oceanview for $245.00 at the Caribe Hilton! I saw pictures from a previous cruiser who had stayed at the Hilton and had great pictures as well as a great review. I booked directly with Hilton on the website. I ended of rebooking several times as over the summer the price has dropped dramatically. Our first initial reservation there was over $380.00!!!! When I checked again recently and saw that you could prepay the same room for $245.00, I jumped on the chance. My hubby and I have never been to PR and we really enjoy hanging out on the beach. Once I found out there were hammocks, it was a sealed deal. Maybe I can give you a review of the Hilton when I return?;)

We used our Hilton points to get a free room at this Embassy Suites hotel and I want to thank you for posting such a nice review.

Is there a place nearby we can buy wine for the cruise? We're leary about flying with it in our luggage. Also. I know it's not right on the beach but is walkable distance to the beach. I know you likely didn't get to go to the beach, with your arrival times, but did you see it? Was it nice? Last, how much was taxi to the port, presming you went to the Pan-American pier?

Archived