Yoga on Board

denisey

I just got back from a 14 day Souther Caribbean cruise on the Zenith. It was great! But since I had worked hard on losing weight before I left, I did not want to gain it all back with that great cruise food.

So.......I decided to take a $10 Yoga class. It cost $11 with a $1 service charge. I know it is only a buck, but I am not sure why they can't tell you the real price of the class.

It was pretty obvious to me that the "teacher" had never had any Yoga training. I'm not real sure she had even ever taken a Yoga class herself. It was pleasant enough (on the open deck, aft deck 8) but not what I was looking for in a class.

Also, they would not let you buy the weekly pass at the end of the class when you pay. I knew at that point I was not going to take any more classes, but that seemed a little inflexible to me.

The good news is, with all the stairs we took all week, I actually lost 1 1/2 pounds! They had a scale in our stateroom. The only problem was the ship's motion effected the scale. Just standing there I "gained" and "lost" 20 pounds! LOL!

Denise

Your experience is almost the opposite of mine on Century almost exactly a year ago. I bought the weekly pass at the end of the first lesson, and they deducted what I had just paid for the class from the weekly fee. Also, our instructor was quite good. The class was geared toward beginners, but she did a really good job of explaining to people what to do and why, and she looked for people who were having problems and explained to them how to modify the poses so they would still work for them. I wish I could remember her name, all I can recall is that she was from Scotland and had an impressive resume'. She also taught the Pilates mat class, and did a good job of that too.

I guess it goes to show, all the ships are different! I'm glad you had such a good experience! I think I'd advise anyone thinking about taking the classes, to go with an open mind! I felt it was worth a try, and then not worth going back!

Actually the spa/salon was my only disappointment on this trip. I also got the Updo Hairstyle from Hell, and then just avoided the place! LOL!

Denise

We've had the same experience as Leela on the Century this past October. Very acomplished teacher, albeit a beginners type class. They were also accomodating about the purchase of passes. And I loved the gym...so spacious...and many aeorbic machines...no waiting. It put to shame other, larger ships I've sailed on. (Except for the free weights which are rather in short supply.)

Archived