FLL hotel--have a car, and points

mountainmare

I am usually travel planner supreme but now I need advice for our Jan 13 cruise.

We are driving down from Pa, making an adventure out of it. My original plan was to stay at our favorite place in Lauderdale by the Sea, but I cannot find anything for one night.

I have a coupon reservation at Park N Go for $6.99/day but have not pre-paid it.

So...I have tons of AmEx points.

Do I use them to splurge on something like Pier 66? Do I use them to book park and stay at Cambria Suites (but I hate normal chain hotels..and I wanted something more Florida like)? Is there a place a little further north that is a beach town like LBTS?

If you had tons and tons of points what would you do? (I wish Pillars took points)

I would be willing to stay about an hour or so north and drive down in the morning. I get the feeling that the Park N Go shuttle is fast and easier than hotel shuttles.

I'm just stumped.

(How is Hollywood beach area?)

Personally, if I were driving and it were for only one night, I'd use one of the hotels that have a stay and park package. Definitely wouldn't "splurge" for a one day event. You can drive to see the beach or have dinner by the water at one of the resorts..whatever, if you get in town early enough. Hollywood Beach is nice. Broadwalk along the beach for a long walk, little places for meals etc. But....again the car.

Deerfield Beach is similar to Lauderdale by the Sea, about 20 minutes north of it. Look for something near A1A and Hillsboro Blvd. JB's is a great beachfront restaurant. There is a Wyndam and lots of little motels. Tripadvisor has a lot of places listed. If you want to stay in the middle of the Fort Lauderdale beach action Alhambra Beach Resort is a short block from the beach and has free parking, breakfast, and good rates.

thank you--

I think I'll go with Cambria Suites. You are right, we'll be eager to get going in the AM and we're taking a week to get down to Fort Lauderdale so will have plenty of time to find local places to stay.

Thanks for the heads up about Deerfield Beach..we may think about that on the way back.

Archived