Great Bay Beach

Solomom

How close is Great Bay Beach to the ship? How do you get there and how long does it take? How much does the transportation to the beach and the beach itself cost? Any particularly good places on the beach? Do the ship dock at the island or are you tendered?

I'd like to know the answer to this, as well. I can't decide between Great Bay and Divi Little Bay. I was thinking maybe you could get an all-day water taxi pass and go back for lunch on the ship if you went to Great Bay. Does that sound right?

We did exactly this. Our ship docked and you can see the beach from your balcony or on deck and we used the all day water taxi. ($5 adults/kids free) and went over to the Front St. area. Great Bay beach is right there. You can go to the right which seems to be a little quieter or you can go to the left which is a little more lively. On the left there were chairs with umbrellas for rent, jet skis, water trampolines, food, drink, etc. 2 chairs and umbrella with a drink was $10.00. We bargained 2 chairs, water tramp and jet ski rental for $45.00.

We hung out there for the entire morning and then returned to the ship to shower, change and have some lunch. We then came back on the water taxi and did some shopping in town. It was a great day.

It takes maybe not even 5 mins to get there by boat and that is if you stop at the marina in between. You could walk it, but it is a pretty good hike just because you have to go the long way. The beach is free to enter, so if you wanted to just bring a towel and set up you could do that as well. If your ship tenders that day you would be dropped off right at the pier for the beach and Front St.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband & I did a morning bus tour of St Martin and St Maarten. Afterwards we decided to eat lunch at a little place right on the Great Bay beach. We dined on their outside 'beachside' patio and enjoyed an AMAZING jerk chicken lunch. Then, we decided to 'beach' it. We rented chairs and umbrellas. The beach itself was slowly getting crowded, but it was a beautiful and hot day. The beach is a tad bit slanted , so it felt weird laying out (at an incline). But we rented jet skis and had a blast! The ship is in view of the beach, so it was easy and quick to return after we were tired of beaching it.

It's not a beautiful beach, but it was adequate and close to the ship.

Archived