Newbie:basic zipline questions

katmich12

My husband and I are going on a Western Caribbean cruise for the first time in January. We dock at Mahogany Bay. I want to try zip-lining. I am not fond of heights and don't know the best first experience for me. My husband has no issues. I am leaning toward Ronys tour. How do you get up to the zip-line? I hear about many lines. Do you have one ride or several? What about using gloves to stop? Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are going on a Western Caribbean cruise for the first time in January. We dock at Mahogany Bay. I want to try zip-lining. I am not fond of heights and don't know the best first experience for me. My husband has no issues. I am leaning toward Ronys tour. How do you get up to the zip-line? I hear about many lines. Do you have one ride or several? What about using gloves to stop? Thanks for your help.

I haven't been on zip lines in Roatan, but I've been on one in Jamaica and another in Puerto Vallarta so I can tell you about zip lining in general. I am not fond of heights either, I have an aversion to the down escalators and will not climb a ladder to our roof.

The zip lines are nestled amongst the hills and valleys of the mountains in the jungles. Usually there is a short zip line first to give you a lesson on how to use the equipment and lines. Then a walk up to the next line, zip down it, then another walk/hike to the next zip line. And so on. Some zip lines may be very close to each other (no walk at all) and some might be a little hike up to the next line. It's very pretty (but humid) in the trees. I had some trouble going from line to line and eventually my knee gave me a fit hiking up a hill of steps. BUT, the guides NEVER left me alone and the rest of the group went on without me when I couldn't make it up the steps. The guide and I rested and eventually I was able to make it up the steps.

Now for the zip lining. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much as I did. The lines are so secure, I never felt unsafe. It is a simple step off the platform and you are off on a zip line! It is a blast. And stopping was easy too. The guides were soooo helpful and funny and always had safety in mind.

Gloves are a required part of the equipment you are given when getting suited up.

My advice is to go and have a blast.

Thanks!! This is the best description I have seen. Sounds like something I can do.

Our group is using Rony on Nov. 23. He's arranging our zip with South Shore and taking us various places the rest of the day. We are an "older" aged group for the most part, but we are excited. I'll post upon our return with a review.

Our group is using Rony on Nov. 23. He's arranging our zip with South Shore and taking us various places the rest of the day. We are an "older" aged group for the most part, but we are excited. I'll post upon our return with a review.

Thanks! I look forward to your review. Have a great trip.

Archived