La Isla - Cabo

Kokopelli2

There is a floating bar in Cabo called La Isla (The Island). It is usually anchored off Pelican Beach, and it looks a little junky.

I am looking at chartering this for several hours in February. My wife and I are renewing our vows on Lover's Beach (25 years), and I wanted to use La Isla for our "reception" with about 20-25 of our friends. It has an unlimited bar and a buffet lunch. I like that we can snorkel, swim and kayak right from it.

Anyone been on this recently? I know it looks junky, but it got a good review on TripAdvisor. If anyone has any pictures, I would really appreciate seeing them.

Thanks!

I have not been on it but I see it all the time, and I would say if it's getting good reviews, go for it. I know what you mean by the junky appearance, but it's got lots of couches and seating. Looks like a homemade house boat, but they seem to get good crowds.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone checked this out lately?

We did La Isla last week. You board very near the launch ramp at the north end of the marine, we left at about 10AM, my wife and I and about 10 other folks. They go through the marina and anchor on the beach about half way out to lovers beach. From there you can jump in the water and everyone walks together down the beach for snorkling around the rocks. Came back to La Isla for an open bar and lunch. He put out two big mojocaletes (sp) and had two guests grind up some salsa. They served tostados with black beans, chicken and poppas. They were very tasty. Beers, margaritas, other mixed drinks, all good stuff. That left time for more snorkling or kayaks, or just lounge on the boat. There was nothing junky about it, it has a rustic appearance by design. Decent bathroom (shared for men and women). He was working on one of the outboards so they offered an additional hour at no charge (until 2PM), then when their first banana type speed boat came in they picked us up and took us back to their dock - no problemo. Very low key and relaxing, no rowdy music, fine for kids. Went thru Johann and sandra for $36 bucks a piece. Going back in March and will probably do it again.

He does charter it out and I suppose you could set the tone to whatever is needed. I wouldn't want more than 20'ish people on board. We had about 12 and was very comfortable.

We did La Isla last week. You board very near the launch ramp at the north end of the marine, we left at about 10AM, my wife and I and about 10 other folks. They go through the marina and anchor on the beach about half way out to lovers beach. From there you can jump in the water and everyone walks together down the beach for snorkling around the rocks. Came back to La Isla for an open bar and lunch. He put out two big mojocaletes (sp) and had two guests grind up some salsa. They served tostados with black beans, chicken and poppas. They were very tasty. Beers, margaritas, other mixed drinks, all good stuff. That left time for more snorkling or kayaks, or just lounge on the boat. There was nothing junky about it, it has a rustic appearance by design. Decent bathroom (shared for men and women). He was working on one of the outboards so they offered an additional hour at no charge (until 2PM), then when their first banana type speed boat came in they picked us up and took us back to their dock - no problemo. Very low key and relaxing, no rowdy music, fine for kids. Went thru Johann and sandra for $36 bucks a piece. Going back in March and will probably do it again.

He does charter it out and I suppose you could set the tone to whatever is needed. I wouldn't want more than 20'ish people on board. We had about 12 and was very comfortable.

Thank you so much for the review! Just what I was looking for.

We went ahead and chartered it out directly through the company that runs it.

Did you happen to walk down to Lovers Beach? We are going to have our ceremony there and wondered how much hiking/climbing was involved to get there. We don't want to lose anyone from the wedding party. :)

Did you happen to walk down to Lovers Beach? We are going to have our ceremony there and wondered how much hiking/climbing was involved to get there. We don't want to lose anyone from the wedding party. :)

They don't pull the boat up on the beach so there could be some wetness. He does have a small companion deck boat, maybe 8ft X 12ft that he could easily transport you the 20 ft from La Isla to the beach. I believe I saw a photo on the web where it was pulled up on the beach, possibly for non-swimmers. He used the small deck boat to transport about 8 people to a snorkling area closer to the bait station on our trip, he said there was a sunken boat there.

Where he anchors is about 100 yds from lovers beach. He said he uses this area to avoid all the boat traffic. It's a beach walk but it was simple. There was one spot that we had to navigate around some rocks due to the tide level. If your charter is later in the day there is no reason he could not anchor farther down the point, after all the cruise ship traffic is gone (unless you're on a cruise ship of course).

It's the beach so there will be some "outdoorsy" to it. Give the guy a call and let him know your requirements, he seemed to be extremely accomodating. He's a family man so he understands some of the softer requirements.

One of the two deckhands is constantly taking pictures (decent camera also). He copies them to DVD's and they are available before you get off the boat, I think they were $20 ea.

And congratulations on your 25 yr anniversary. We had our 30th this year, it's a great thing.

Thank you so much for the review! Just what I was looking for.

We went ahead and chartered it out directly through the company that runs it.

There is no way to get to Lover's beach without getting wet (well unless you climb over Mt Solmar from Solmar beach but that is a strenuous and difficult climb)

Any boat that you take will let you off in a foot or 2 of water. It just depends on how rough the waves are that day as to how close to shore they can get you. We have seen many people (me inlcuded one time) do a "swan dive" off the water taxi getting off. Not very graceful and I got soaked! Luckily I was in a swimsuit.

Doing this on 11/29. I can't wait!! It looks like so much fun!! Going through Cabo San Lucas Tours.

Doing this on 11/29. I can't wait!! It looks like so much fun!! Going through Cabo San Lucas Tours.

From the tender dock, walk north around the marina. If you get to the launch ramp, turn around and go back about 50ft. They have a small "open air office" tucked between two restaraunts.

Make sure to take your e-ticket (or confirmation) with you. They had us listed under a different excursion.

Very nice folks there.

• 2 months later...

Any recent updates on this? Would love to hear from anyone that has been on it. I chartered this boat for our guests after our vow renewal on Lover's Beach.

Do they have enough kayaks?

How do we get to Lover's Beach from where the boat anchors?

Did they have plenty of drinks?

Is 4 hours enough, or should I get another hour?

Thanks for your help!

Any recent updates on this? Would love to hear from anyone that has been on it. I chartered this boat for our guests after our vow renewal on Lover's Beach.

Do they have enough kayaks?

How do we get to Lover's Beach from where the boat anchors?

Did they have plenty of drinks?

Is 4 hours enough, or should I get another hour?

Thanks for your help!

Lover's beach is only accessable by water taxi and you will have to get off the boat into the water, at least a foot or 2 deep, so you will get wet. Is that going to be ok for your ceremony? The water is very, very rough there and I fell off the boat getting out in November so got totally soaked. Then you have to wade out into the water to get back on the water taxi. Just wanted you to be prepared for that.

Not sure about Las Isla though. We have seen it many times but it doesn't look like anything we would want to book. It is very small and looks quite run down. Hopefully someone will answer that has actually been on it. There are so many nice boats in Cabo!

Archived