If You Can't Beat 'em Join Them........

sail7seas

LadyShiva: Did you read my comment after the poll closed? I was curious if people who hadn't cruised HAL would vote anyway. That was WHY.

One poster who voted "I am a HAL pax dissatisfied with the current dress code. It is too dressy, and I ignore it." was "purpose". Because the poll was open, I can see "purpose" joined CC in 2006 and posted once, in 2007, to a NCL thread.

That's the kind of info I wanted to everyone to be able see after the poll.

With an open poll, there's no way to hide the person voting has never once posted on a HAL thread. Which doesn't mean they're not a HAL pax. It's just suggestive.

And no way to get one's friends to vote and skew the results, to teach the pollster a lesson.

I'm not suggesting anyone here would do that. But, it has happened on CC.

LadyShiva: Did you read my comment after the poll closed? I was curious if people who hadn't cruised HAL would vote anyway. That was WHY.

One poster who voted "I am a HAL pax dissatisfied with the current dress code. It is too dressy, and I ignore it." was "purpose". Because the poll was open, I can see "purpose" joined CC in 2006 and posted once, in 2007, to a NCL thread.

That's the kind of info I wanted to everyone to be able see after the poll.

With an open poll, there's no way to hide the person voting has never once posted on a HAL thread. Which doesn't mean they're not a HAL pax. It's just suggestive.

And no way to get one's friends to vote and skew the results, to teach the pollster a lesson.

I'm not suggesting anyone here would do that. But, it has happened on CC.

Yes, I read it, and it aligned with my interpretation of why you started the poll. As I said, I thought it was aggressive, but I understood why you called out "actual," instead of using the less harsh "past cruisers." I have been watching the factions go at each other.

It would be good support for your argument if you now opened a "potential cruisers" poll that showed a drift from HAL to other cruise lines due to not caring for the formal nights. Right now, you're showing a majority of past cruisers don't want changes to the dress code, but you want to prove that disparity between what is said by potential and future cruisers (less formality) and what people who have cruised on HAL in the past want (no changes).

YMMV, but that's my $.02, and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

LadyShiva: We must agree to disagree. I could reply to your comments point by point, and provide dated computer evidence to "alibi" my "crime" - but that would be futile, wouldn't it?

It seems to me all your comments here are "problematic posts". I've re-read Host Walt's sticky on the subject, and can think of nothing to add except this: if you wish to comment about an open thread, why not do it there?

LadyShiva: We must agree to disagree. I could reply to your comments point by point, and provide dated computer evidence to "alibi" my "crime" - but that would be futile, wouldn't it?

It seems to me all your comments here are "problematic posts". I've re-read Host Walt's sticky on the subject, and can think of nothing to add except this: if you wish to comment about an open thread, why not do it there?

You scoped your thread for actual cruisers, and have made it clear you believe only actual cruisers have opinions you want on your thread. I was trying to respect your wishes by not posting on "your" thread on "your" board.

I'm over here on this thread because I'm tired of the fighting, but I still wanted to talk about your poll in a respectful manner. I believe you're reading a different, antagonistic, tone that isn't intended. I am purely speculating based on what you've posted, but you might be feeling defensive because this is a long-standing sore spot for some repeat HAL cruisers--just like coming on the NCL board and talking about "nickel and diming" would be there. And by the way, I don't feel bullied or picked on, or anything like that when I'm in a discussion; disagreements handled constructively are perfectly fine with me, but I also acknowledge that I don't have the emotion invested in this issue that I believe you do (from your posts).

Good luck with your future cruises. I completely understand if you put me on ignore and move on. :) I'll hang around this board until Mom's off her cruise, then probably drool over the trip reviews and pictures in the future. HAL really knows how to make an itinerary dream-worthy!!

just because the world has decided that it is ok to be a slob, without morals or a good up bringing, to not say please and thank you doesn't mean that I have to go along with it. Indeed I was brought up in a different time but that doesn't mean that I am wrong and you are right. We all need to find a way to get along. Just let me do my thing without critism and I will let you do yours. You can snicker about me but let me also snicker about you.

That is fair. I am not one enamored of formal nights, and do not bring a tuxedo. Pretend you don't see me. :)

In defense of new posters possibly not using search feature here,

I've been here for years and have the hardest time finding old thread I know I've read.

I posted a thread a week or so ago saying I'd been searching for breakfast menus I knew were here but could not find them.

I freely admit I am not the best researcher but perhaps some others have the same difficulties I encounter?

I don't understand why people feel the need to tell someone to do a search, just answer the the question for Pete's sake.

I'm a stickler for rules. What bothers me most is when there are clear-cut policies or rules on an issue and people feel they are special enough to flaunt them. That goes for kids in the adult pool, people smoking where it's not allowed, violating the dress codes, or smuggling in booze. Take these issue up with HAL if you must, but there's no sense in endlessly debating them here.

The issues that don't matter as much to me are where there are no clear policies, such as wearing bathrobes out to the pool. However, these issues probably deserve more of a presence here since, without otherwise having clear guidelines, I'd hate to commit a faux pas like wearing my bathrobe out to the pool. It can be very helpful to learn the "unwritten rules" of cruiseship behavior here, but I don't need anyone but HAL and its clear FAQs telling me the smoking policy, dress code, or what beverage I can bring aboard.

I totally agree...

Archived