Balmoral Deck plans

blackpool belle

They are the "owner's" cabins and are not usually available for booking. If you look at them in the brochure you can see that they do not have a colour code and that they are truly enormous. If Fred Olsen Jr or someone important joins the cruise then that is where they will stay. "Ordinary" cruisers can be upgraded to one of these cabins but they would have almost certainly booked a suite on that deck anyway. The reason I know all this is because we were recently upgraded from a cabin on deck 9 to cabin 1025 which is next door to one of the special cabins and we were able to chat to the occupants across the balcony. Our suite was much smaller but had a bow window from which you could see right down to the front of the ship.

The SS cabins get free decanters of whisky, gin and brandy so you won't go short of booze. Our suite didn't qualify for that because we were just a balcony suite at the end of all the SS cabins. Nevertheless we were almost next door to the Avon restaurant and had one of the best views on the ship.

When I first started cruising I seemed to get regular upgrades but then I went through a very lean patch lasting several years during which the upgrades disappeared completely. Then I was upgraded from deck 9 to deck 10 for the cruise I took in July and I have been upgraded from deck 4 to deck 5 for my long cruise in January next year.

Archived