Epic Vat pdf

Victress2007

I've searched this forum for info about the Epic Spanish Vat. I understand they give you a flyer to explain why they have to charge it. Does anyone have this that they can scan and post. We're going next spring, getting on in Rome and I'm just trying to understand the concept.

Thanks,

Vic

In addition to the fixed gratuities added, Spanish VAT is added at 8% food and drink and 18% on spa/purchases in shops.

So a drink for example at $10 would cost an extra 1.50 (15% grat) + an extra 0.80 (8% Spanish vat) so $12.30

For Spa that's 18% tip + 18% vat so $100 treatment will cost you $136.

If you are a non-eu resident AND you spend the min amount you can fill a form in to claim VAT back but ONLY on purchases you physically take home, I.e. not food/drink/spa treatments..

Thank you for the pdf, I'm sure I won't be the only one who finds it interesting. I was led to believe (from another board) that it addressed the issue of people boarding in other ports. We'll be getting on in Rome but I understand the Spanish VAT will still be in effect. I find this irritating and I wonder if it will be true next year.

It's more of an intellectual argument than practical - but an extra 8% on consumables is irksome. I hope NCL got something from Spain to homeport the Epic there since cruisers are paying that premium!

Vic

I hope NCL got something from Spain to homeport the Epic there since cruisers are paying that premium!

Vic

Well considering about 600 passengers onboard my cruise were Spanish they'd be used to it.. Just under half (2000) were from the USA, about 1,000 from UK and the rest a mix of EU, South American and some Asian and Australasian..

We're used to 20% VAT in the UK so dont have problem with that, but the 15% tip for someone to hand me a bottle and take the cap off.. hmm..

If you buy a bucket of beer - they don't even remove the caps! (Of course they do fill the bucket with ice).

We yanks don't have a VAT (yet) so it's the idea that you have to pay that extra 8% the whole cruise, not just in Spanish waters, that aggravates. Guess an extra glass of wine will help relieve the stress. :)

If you buy a bucket of beer - they don't even remove the caps! (Of course they do fill the bucket with ice).

We yanks don't have a VAT (yet) so it's the idea that you have to pay that extra 8% the whole cruise, not just in Spanish waters, that aggravates. Guess an extra glass of wine will help relieve the stress. :)

Yes 8% more stress relief!

VAT is like a sales tax and I have been charged plenty of sales taxes in many of the states that make up the USA and plenty of other countries in the world too.

A major difference is that items in EU shops have to have the tax included in the price it is marked at so no surprise additions when you get to the cash register.

I was annoyed by it when I sailed Epic from Barcelona this summer but it was better than the 20% we pay here in the Uk. I just didn't like it being added on as an extra rather than included in the price advertised for things.

Archived