What to do in Ft Lauderdale by the Sea

waterbugohio

Hello,

We are 5 couples that will be in Ft. Lauderdale for a couple days. We have tickets for the water taxi on Saturday and want to make a day of it.

We will get on it at the Bahia Mar and want to get on and off and walk around and see different areas. We will probably start out about 2 and want to do dinner somewhere about 6, maybe a few drink stops after dinner.

Can anyone give me some ideas of what there is to do. What not to miss? Where is fun on a Saturday night?

Also need suggestions for dinner. I have been searching Ft Lauderdale by the Sea restaurants, but not sure. While we would like a decent meal, we do not want upscale. More good food, fun place. Preferably near the ocean.

any and all suggestions welcome

thanks

Just so you are aware, Fort Lauderdale Beach is very different from Lauderdale by the sea. Lauderdale by the sea is on the northern part of Fort Lauderdale Beach, right before entering Pompano Beach. Bahia Mar is in the prime location at Fort Lauderdale Beach.

If you go to Lauderdale by the Sea it is always nice to check out "Aruba Cafe". They have been there forever and have on the sand property. Athenas is a nice Greek type of restaurant and they have a restaurant.com Gift Certificate you can use. I find that to be some real good savings and the food is good.

At Bahia Mar you pretty much have great access to Las Olas and Beach Place. Las Olas on a Saturday Night can get wild. Many clubs depending on the type of music and some rather expensive restaurants but the food is real good.

Or you can walk to Fat Tuesdays and try a 190 Octane/SuperMan frozen alchol drink with an extra shot. Good times

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale this week for one pre cruise day/night. We like Lauderdale by the Sea, and always make it a point to visit there. We have a rental car so it's not a problem. Whenever we are in the area Aruba is a must do for us, we love the view, the food is good and the prices are reasonable. After dining we take a little stroll and wander through the stores that are right in that there. It's cold and snowy here in Phily and I can't wait to be in Florida and lunching at Aruba. Only 3 more days to go.

As Kdog said, you are staying at Fort Lauderdale Beach. Some good casual waterfront restaurants within an easy walk are Coconuts and H2O. Bahia Cabana (south of Bahia Mar) has pretty basic food, but is a fun place right on the marina. Lulu's is also pretty basic (mostly fried seafood but some healthy choices too) but has a fun atmosphere, in Beach Place. After dinner walk along the beach road and you will find lots of casual bars and clubs. I wouldn't bother to eat there (overpriced and not too good) but it's a fun place to hang out and many places have entertainers. After 11 the crowd gets very young.

Thanks for all the info.

I had read about Aruba and think maybe that is where we will try to dinner. Anyone have any idea of the normal price range of entre's? The website list the menu, but no prices??

May try out some of the places around Lauderdale Beach one of the other nights and do Las Olas Saturday night while water taxi hopping.

OK, was just looking at water taxi route. I thought the water taxi went as far north as Lauderdale by the Sea. Now I see that it doesn't. Looks to be about 2 miles from the last stop.

what would a taxi run to get there from Shooters (the last water taxi stop)

Thanks for all the info.

I had read about Aruba and think maybe that is where we will try to dinner. Anyone have any idea of the normal price range of entre's? The website list the menu, but no prices??

May try out some of the places around Lauderdale Beach one of the other nights and do Las Olas Saturday night while water taxi hopping.

Aruba is good and is in a cute little beach village, but personally I don't think that it is that great that it would be worth paying for transportation to get there. You can walk to north of Las Olas Blvd on the beach road and take the 11 bus, but a taxi is about $50 round trip. There is usually about a 30 minute wait for a table. By my best recollection, dinner entrees avg $18-30.

So a taxi from the Bahia Mar to Aruba (which I mapped out at 5-6 miles) would be $25 each way??

also thinking about the Briny Irish Bux, any comments on there?

Yes, close to $25 each way. You can get to the downtown Briny Riverfront by Water Taxi. I've only been there for lunch and it was ok. It looks like they have a stage for entertainment in the evenings. It is right on the New River at Las Olas Riverfront complex.

Archived