What do you think of this repositioning cruise?

Unlike many people here, I actually like shorter trips. I stumbled across this 3-night repositioning cruise from Colon, Panama, to Miami. While the airfare is high, it's not outrageous, especially when I combine it with a low cruise fare. Also, as a solo cruiser, I can splurge on a balcony and the whole trip will still be reasonable.

I would go down two days early and have maybe a day and a half for sightseeing. I'm thinking that since it starts in Panama, it won't be a spring break booze cruise. I'll have two full days on board to just relax and enjoy the ship (the Grandeur, by the way).

Any thoughts? Will the transfer logistics be difficult? Thanks :)

Transfer logistics may be a little more involved from Panama's Tocumen (PTY) to Colon, but not that bad. You may wish to look at the 7 day cruise that precedes the repo to Miami, gives you a 10 day if you swing that much time. Don't know where you flying from, but take a look at COPA, (Panama's airline and code share with Continental) they have direct flights out of Orlando... sometimes price isn't too bad.

We are "looking" at it as well.

Unlike many people here, I actually like shorter trips. I stumbled across this 3-night repositioning cruise from Colon, Panama, to Miami. While the airfare is high, it's not outrageous, especially when I combine it with a low cruise fare. Also, as a solo cruiser, I can splurge on a balcony and the whole trip will still be reasonable.

I would go down two days early and have maybe a day and a half for sightseeing. I'm thinking that since it starts in Panama, it won't be a spring break booze cruise. I'll have two full days on board to just relax and enjoy the ship (the Grandeur, by the way).

Any thoughts? Will the transfer logistics be difficult? Thanks :)

Its a great deal...I might end up booking it. I did a 6 day FLL to Colon repo cruise on Grandeur last year. I used a transfer company that is very popular in Panama....Myfriendmario. You can check for recent review on the ports of call board. They charged $12 from most hotels in Panama city to the airport and offer great tours. Here is the link

http://www.myfriendmario.com/transfer-services

I was able to snag a pretty cheap one way far with Spirit air for under $200 including their crazy fees.

Thanks for the post, not sure how I missed this sailing.

Oh, no! My secret's out ;) It was really hidden away. I better book soon before my balcony gets snagged!

lol....maybe I will see you there..I love Grandeur. Did the price recently drop or was it always this low. I know Royal often has problems selling these cruises and really drop rates.

I will agree about my friend mario...we had a private transfer for the family of 10 between our hotel and the port and back to the airport with a drop off for my parents at a hotel for an extended stay in Panama.

If you go down early be sure to try the half day partial transit tour...it was really quite nice.

Thanks for the info. Some tours go to one set of locks, some to another. Does it matter? I'm thinking of trying to find a canal visit combined with the Colon transfer, if one exists. Or maybe a train or boat ride! I got so excited about this that for one brief moment I forgot about my December Monarch cruise ;)

Here is the fly in the ointment..... Colon is where the ship leaves from, it really is not the garden spot of the Caribbean. The best hotels and the bulk of the sightseeing are on the Pacific side in Panama City. The partial transits of the Canal when there is not a cruise ship involved are only on certain days. The railroad generally only runs passenger service twice a day, Monday thru Friday at times of around 7AM and 5PM, they add special trains when cruise ships are in port. Someone mentioned My Friend Mario, I have not used him but he seems to get fairly good reviews on the Panama Canal Board here on Cruise Critic, I think MFM could put something together for you. You probably want a transfer from the airport to Panama City and then a transfer from your hotel in Panama City to the ship in Colon in addition to what tours you could select.

As far as which locks to see, it really is a toss up. The locks on the Pacific side, Miraflores is the showcase locks and is best set up for visitors. However, the locks on the Atlantic side, Gatun are the largest locks on the Canal and can handle visitors as well. You could include a stop at either locks on your way from Panama City to meet the ship.

Archived