Snorkeling Question

rumpelstiltskin

Off the beach and in water without strong currents you do not need fins - they just provide extra power and safety. Base your decision about whether to snorkel and how far out to go etc on the conditions on the day, including your own! Reef shoes - light weight are a good idea.

Colleen

We've snorkeled several times without fins (because we brought our own mask and snorkel tube and didn't feel like renting the fins). As long as you are not in deep water or if you are, then a good swimmer, it should be fine.

The times that we have not used fins are when we are snorkeling right off the beach and the coral is right there (well it goes out really far, but yet it still didn't get deep). However any deeper than 6' or so, we usually have the snorkel vest on. That would help a lot with the water shoes only if you are snorkeling in deeper water. Just remember in salt water, you have more buoyancy in the water.

Thanks for all the advice.

Will prolly be snorkeling in deeper water (Belize & GC) so I'm a bit concerned about the safety issue in currents.

I think I might have a more practical solution than water shoes:

Short fins.

I found them whilst shopping online for snorkel gear. Hubby is getting snorkel gear for Christmas. At last...something he will actually use.:D

Thanks for all the advice.

Will prolly be snorkeling in deeper water (Belize & GC) so I'm a bit concerned about the safety issue in currents.

I think I might have a more practical solution than water shoes:

Short fins.

I found them whilst shopping online for snorkel gear. Hubby is getting snorkel gear for Christmas. At last...something he will actually use.:D

I have used both short and standard fins. The short fins were fine for calm water and drift snorkeling - one way! Not so good when going back against the current or crossing a strong current as I found on Tahiti cruise. After that I always take or rent standard fins and find them less stressful on my ankles and feet than the short fins. I have the beginnings of arthritis in both ankles. I have learned to limit the flexion on my ankles by using a kicking style that concentrates the pushing power on my calves and thighs ( a bit bicycle like) when I need to travel more quickly or against a current - not very elegant but less stress on ankles and feet than a flipper foot style. Perhaps your surgeon could recommend a sports therapist or trainer who could help you develop a style that will cause the least problem with your tendons while they are recovering. I go to a gym wherer this is possible - perhaps there is one near you.

I also would hate to give up snorkeling - it has become an addiction.

Colleen

Archived