Venice????

Please tell me the situation for docking in Venice. Where exactly does the ship dock and how easy is it to go to and from the ship while overnight there? We just want to go off on our own. How does that work? Thanks

Celebrity offers a water shuttle for free which goes from the ship to St. Mark's Square on a regular basis throughout the day. I don't remember what time the last one left St. Mark's, maybe it was about 11:00 p.m. The pier is a short walk (other's have said it's not so short, so it depends on the person) from Piazzale Roma. We walked it a few times as well as taking the water shuttle. Maybe this site will help you, http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/crociere.jsp?n=0

On the Golden Princess in 2003 they charged $10 a person to use the water shuttle from the dock to St Mark's square. We also walked from the dock to Piazza Roma to pick up a Venice Pass we had ordered via the Internet because we were staying 4 days after the ship docked in Venice. The walk was doable but it was uphill and then downhill and I sure wouldn't have wanted to make it hauling luggage. Here is a really good site with lots of information about Venice. You may find things there you can use to help make your visit more fun.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Have a great next cruise.

In Venice there are two piers: San Basilio and Stazione Marittima. The first is very close to the city, only a bridge to cross; the second is more distant and requires uphill and then downhill.

Check with your travel agent which is the pier where your ship will dock.

Thanks so much. I think we'll be fine to take the ship's transportation and go on our own to explore. We've been there before, I had a problem seeing that huge cruise ship right there in Venice. It should be fantastic to sail away. Wow!

Be sure to be on a top deck when the ship sails out. You will get great pictures of the city, the entry into the Grand Canal, St Marks and much much more. We sailed into Venice rather than sailing out and were on deck at around 6:30 or so in the morning. The sun was just showing up and there were a whole line of ships following us into port. It really was quite an experience.

If you have been there before you probably already know about taking the water bus down or up or both the Grand Canal, route 1 or 82. Another great chance to take pictures.

As you can tell we had a great time in Venice and plan on going back some day.

wwinfl91,

When you were on the Golden Princess, was that a $10 fee per person to use the ship's shuttle an unlimited number of times, or just for one trip (or round trip)? I thought I had read that it was for an unlimited number of times. (We're going on the Grand Princess in September, which is why I'm asking).

It was for as many trips back and forth to the ship you could fit in during the day. We used it to go back to the ship and then again to go back to St Marks and then return with no problems.

Archived