Items allowed 2011?

Sashalanda

I found some old links to threads regarding knitting needles but no current ones.

I am planning on bring some knitting that I am just now learning to do while on deck sitting in the sun. I figured it would be great to do on those many times my husband goes for a nap lol. I figured it would be ok in my carry on to knit while I wait for our room but am now worried with all the scarey stuff that they wont let me have my knitting needles. Should I just pack it in our suitcase to avoid a conflict?

I found some old links to threads regarding knitting needles but no current ones.

I am planning on bring some knitting that I am just now learning to do while on deck sitting in the sun. I figured it would be great to do on those many times my husband goes for a nap lol. I figured it would be ok in my carry on to knit while I wait for our room but am now worried with all the scarey stuff that they wont let me have my knitting needles. Should I just pack it in our suitcase to avoid a conflict?

WOW great question. To be honest I never thought to pack any just because I thought they could be construed as a threat or make shift weapon.

I know that the TSA allows them on a plane in carry-on. But there is no mention on CCL list. {That does not necessarily mean you can or cannot.}

I know they are quite adamant about toys .. aka Halloween accessories plastic pirate swords as an example.

The only items remotely close are scissors and knives having to be 4" or less.

I wonder if you get plastic or bamboo ones if they would allow that.:confused:

Just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Pride (last Sunday), and there were 4 women on the ship who were knitting. You could hear the 'clackity-clack' from their needles before you even got close. I would imagine they are probably brought on board in their suitcases (not carry-ons) but not sure. Just call Carnival and ask... You can always bring the plastic ones.

I've ALWAYS carried my knitting (with needles) on all Carnival Cruises (and other cruise lines) with no questions or problems. Haven't been brave enough to take them on a plane but am going to Europe in a few months and REALLY want them with me!!!!

I'm at a loss as to why ANY sharp instruments would be banned from a cruise ship. If I want to hurt someone I could grab a steak knife from the MDR and be well armed. I could also grab a golf club from the golf pro or at least a putter from the mini golf course. There are baseball bats at some of the batting ranges, pool cues on cruises with pool tables, and as a worst case scenario, ping pong paddles make a decent weapon.

I don't think cruiselines are as picky about objects as airlines are, but I can't imagine why they would need to be. There are plenty of weapons readily available on the ship already.....

I think they will fear your hair dryer more than your knitting needles.

Bob

Archived