Don't Call it a "Review".....

DTXCruiser

I wrote a review and my grammar was attacked. Then I was criticized for how much they "thought" I spent on a dress. I was asked where I got the dress and I told them. They assumed I paid full price. (Shhhhh, don’t tell them but I paid $20 for a $139 dress….;). LOVE shopping for a Caribbean cruise in Jan :D)

I almost didn’t finish the review – but I did and glad I did. When we are planning our cruise – I read everything I can find. ALL are helpful. The review may not be your cup a tea, but there is still useful information in it. Some like pictures – some don’t. I happen to be someone who loves pictures in a review and skip ones that don’t have them. As many people that are on this message board – there are that many opinions.

We all need to just unpack those chill pills from our cruises and take one prior to criticizing. :(

Sorry just one cruiser’s opinion…

Whether you like what someone writes or not, at least they did take the time to come and post something. As soon as you realize u don't like it, just quit reading. It's that easy. The most annoying thing on this forum lately is people criticizing other people for their reviews. Eventually everyone will stop posting reviews altogether. Remember it is "Cruise Critic" after all.

I agree. It appears you are only to write all positive in a reveiw. Nothing is perfect.

I would like to know things I should be aware of --so I can plan accordingly

I go to the area on this board that says Cruise Reviews to read a review. There are stated guidelines (suggestions) and it has to be "approved" by the cruise critic administration before it is even printed. Which is why I often question whether or not some one from cruise Critic has been on a ship, but I digress.

What we write on here, is usally a travel log. We post pictures, we tell people what we did, where we went, what we ate, and that gets me all excited for my next cruise. When I get to the "reviews" that are all about someone had a terrible time, how the staff was awful, the food was terrible, etc, I gotta remember who they cruised with. Themselves. LOL.

My mom always used to say to me, "wherever you go, there YOU are." If I'm a little "pissy", I bet you ten to one, I'll be like that no matter where I am. So when I get to the terrible awfuls, I just leave the thread and go elsewhere.:)

Whether you like what someone writes or not, at least they did take the time to come and post something. As soon as you realize u don't like it, just quit reading. It's that easy. The most annoying thing on this forum lately is people criticizing other people for their reviews. Eventually everyone will stop posting reviews altogether. Remember it is "Cruise Critic" after all.

Very well said, thank you, I agree with you 100%.

Very well said, thank you, I agree with you 100%.

this is what the mods used to do.

now it seems attacking other people for their opinions is acceptable, and is chasing too many people away.

the facebook cruise sites came just in time!

I am sorry but, I think everyone has a different writing style. Some are more articulate in their writing style and others are less descriptive. I don't think we should discourage those who come on and give their version of a review, just because they may or may not cover all areas or give reasons why they did or did not like something.

If the review is on the boards, you the reader have the opportunity to ask questions and possibly clear up any unanswered questions that you may have.

OK.....calm down folks.

I'll be more clear in my "request" and explain what I meant (for those who didn't quite get it).

I, in no way, suggest that anyone posting anything on here should follow my rules and suggestions. Obviously, that would not happen either way. By the way...I disagree with the response that people don't post for me...people post for others and I qualify as others. No matter who you are, if you are posting in a forum like this, you are posting for the benefit of others. If those others don't enjoy or appreciate your postings...then why do it?

If you suggest that one posts on here to simply "vent"..in that case...maybe the poster should state that in the beginning? Is it unreasonable to suggest such?

My suggestion was merely that if you call it a review or suggest it is a review, it should be such. Review is defined as a "reexamination", "evaluation", or "critique". In order to meet those definitions, I present to you that it can't JUST be your stated opinion of a cruise.

I enjoy most postings on here....I appreciate the opinions of others, or I wouldn't read them (to answer a few folks on here).

I don't think anyone could, reasonably, say that posting something like: "The food was horrible in the MDR of Carnival Triumph" is helpful in any way, shape, or form. I have read similar posts....why post that? You just want me to know that you didn't like something? Do you want to explain WHY it was horrible?

I know that people will say things like "the shows were fun and enjoyable" and move on. But you have to admit, those statements are easier to accept than, "the show was the worst I have ever seen!". Which one raises more questions?

I don't care if it's good, bad, or awful, just tell us why or what caused it to be so bad or even what caused it to be so good.

I am not critiquing anyone's "reviews" I am simply pointing out that some people are posting reviews that don't even fall into that category and should simply point out early on...."this is my opinion/experience/day to day blog of my last cruise".

Finally...for everyone who suggests that it is somehow "funny" that I am critiquing reviews....I say again, I know this is "cruise critic" and I will be a critic, along with the rest.

I have only been on here about 6 months. I intend to continue enjoying the postings on here. I also learned, very quickly, that no matter what you post on here, there are other opinions and there are others who will "attack" you for your opinion.

It would be great to just get another opinion, instead of some insulting response...I'm not trying to "dictate" what you do. I am making positive, corrective, points about what I have read.

So, relax...hopefully at least a few people get what I am saying....and simply title a rant a rant and a review as such.

Happy Cruising! :)

Archived