MDR food substitution?

PenguinLife

I had major abdominal surgery a couple of months ago that included removal of my gallbladder along with other things (bile duct resection, and replacement with a section of intestine, etc), one of the side effects has been to limit what I can eat, primarily I have to eat smaller meals, and now have a very low tolerance for fried or greasy foods. (my eating capacity and tolerance for fried foods is slowly improving, yesterday I was able to eat a fried chicken strip with only mild digestive distress for a couple of hours, a month ago I could not eat more than 2 french fries, however we cruise in about a month and don't expect any great improvement before them). Anyway I have looked at the new menus and while many of the entrees listed are fried, there a couple each night that are not, however many of these are served with fried side items, I was therefore wondering what I need to do to arrange to get substitutions which may be listed as the available side for a different item on that nights menu, for example getting mashed potatoes that were listed as the side item with fried chicken, in place of the french fries that may be listed with a broiled pork chop. I am still not sure what I will be able to do regarding lunch and breakfast each day, but I am sure I can find something, one thing is sure since having my surgery I have been eating very little fast food.

Ike

p.s. I also have a food allergy to tree nuts which I have dealt with on past cruises by simply informing our waiters

I am sure if you tell your waiter they will be happy to give you what ever you need,after all they are not paying for it so dont really care what extras you order weather it be through gluttony as for some or digestive problems for you:).

Den

I had major abdominal surgery a couple of months ago that included removal of my gallbladder along with other things (bile duct resection, and replacement with a section of intestine, etc), one of the side effects has been to limit what I can eat, primarily I have to eat smaller meals, and now have a very low tolerance for fried or greasy foods. (my eating capacity and tolerance for fried foods is slowly improving, yesterday I was able to eat a fried chicken strip with only mild digestive distress for a couple of hours, a month ago I could not eat more than 2 french fries, however we cruise in about a month and don't expect any great improvement before them). Anyway I have looked at the new menus and while many of the entrees listed are fried, there a couple each night that are not, however many of these are served with fried side items, I was therefore wondering what I need to do to arrange to get substitutions which may be listed as the available side for a different item on that nights menu, for example getting mashed potatoes that were listed as the side item with fried chicken, in place of the french fries that may be listed with a broiled pork chop. I am still not sure what I will be able to do regarding lunch and breakfast each day, but I am sure I can find something, one thing is sure since having my surgery I have been eating very little fast food.

Ike

p.s. I also have a food allergy to tree nuts which I have dealt with on past cruises by simply informing our waiters

You might want to talk with the special needs department and explain your food problems to them. I know that for people with severe allergies they'll arrange for someone from the kitchen to sit down with them each day to discuss the next day's menu, determine what they can and cannot eat,

and then when the person comes to the dining room the next day, they're just served their special meal along with everyone else's, and there's no big fuss. This might work for you, too.

I hope you continue to heal well.

According to the CCL website:

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free, Indian Vegetarian and Kosher. If you have food allergies, please advise your dining staff once onboard.

I'd imagine speaking with the dining staff on board will allow them to take care of your special dining needs.

Archived