Is there a 'level playing field' for cruise prices

navylark

If I wanted to cruise out of Southampton with P&O in May/June 2012 when should I be looking to book for a great deal together with a disabled cabin?

Chances are the disabled cabins are already booked. You would be relying on a cancellation

Brian

If I wanted to cruise out of Southampton with P&O in May/June 2012 when should I be looking to book for a great deal together with a disabled cabin?

Clearly this is on of the reasons for booking early. Contact a good TA and ask them to enquire for you. You have a better chance if you are flexible with ships and where you go.

In future you need to look to book in April, when the brochures come out.

When someone says do not book early remember that is their opinion, not fact. On our last cruise there were a couple on our table who could not get the freedom dining they wanted when they booked late. They were very unhappy about it. I am sure it had an effect on their cruise enjoyment.

Gan Canny

Dai

We have learnt it is best not to discuss the price paid for a cruise when on board. Our normal tack when asked is - at the end of the conversation either we will be upset or you will so lets talk about something else! Whatever price paid we thought it fair at the time and can't change it so we just get on with enjoying the cruise.

I won't volunteer the information, but if I'm asked, I'll answer. It's the only way most people (particularly newbies) will find out that there are such deals to be had. I will also point out the drawbacks (little if any choice of cabin, probably not the dining choice you want, tours sold out, etc).

We booked straight away for a Fjord cruise in June '12. We now find free coach travel being offered! This is annoying because we always use the coach and this would save us close on £150. I emailed P&O but no go! They encourage very early booking then change it so you lose any advantages.

Shan't book early ever again!

We booked October 2012 cruise, on Arcadia, when brochure came out, no free parking nor on board credit but we got the suite we wanted, booking that same suite today we would have got free parking but the suite would have cost £300 pp more. Just booked a suite on Oriana for July2012 and got free parking but have no doubt we paid more than had we booked when brochures came out (nothing is 'free' in this life). By the way we looked at several TA's and all prices the same so booked direct with P&O.Dennis

Have booked a cruise today for Xmas 2012 (with another cruise company but also one that is not being discounted by TAs), and have managed to get an 11o/o discount on the cruise. This was only because the TA had a "block booking". We got the cabin we wanted and the discount. Saved us about £500 so can't complain. Worth while shopping around just in case it can be found cheaper.

Archived