Butchart Gardens

HRPro

There are a number of options that should work for you, not the least of which is to rent a car and go by ferry which gives you the flexibility to see some of Victoria as well. Then there are tours from Vancouver.

http://www.bcferries.com/

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

http://www.vancouvertours.com/victoria-tour

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on whether you are wanting to spend the night in Victoria or just popping over for the day. It also depends on your budget. The easiest would be a package deal that picks you up from your hotel, takes you on the ferry, and drives you to Butchart and back. The cheapest would be to take public transit using BC Transit, Translink, and BC Ferries.

• 1 month later...

we rented a car when we got off the ship, drove to the ferry, took the ferry to Victoria and enjoyed the day there...including the gardens.

We spent the night, then took the ferry to Washington state, drove down to Seattle and flew home from there. Worked great for us.

I used to have family in Vancouver and flew out there years ago and we did a day trip to Victoria and Butchart.

If you already have a rental car then as mentioned you can just drive it there and take it across the ferry ($47), but take note that the prices do not include the fares of the actual passengers at another $14.25/each.

If you don't have a rental car, Public transit to the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen is readily available and inexpensive directly out of Vancouver. Once at the ferry, enjoy the ride, as the scenery is amazing. Once you get off the ship at Swartz Bay you can again take public transit into downtown Victoria - the busses pickup right at the ferry terminal and are very efficient. It's about a 30 minute bus drive.

We rented scooters in Victoria and spent a few hours driving around the city. The roads are good, traffic is very laid back (BC in general is a very laid back place) and you are safe on scooters if you are comfortable riding them.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe our cruise ship does not arrive until 6 PM, there is a shore excursion to Butchart, but what is the light like in June around 7pm. I am concerned I would not be able to see the gardens.

Thank you

Sunset is well after 9PM that time of year - assuming you arrive at the gardens before 8 you'll have at least an hour. Not sure arriving at 7 is realistic if your ship doesn't even bump the pier until 6PM.

I've never been to the gardens themselves, but I'm not sure that 1 hour is sufficient..although for all I know they are well lit...?

Anyhow, here's the sunrise/sunset times:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=256&month=6&year=2012&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

I believe our cruise ship does not arrive until 6 PM, there is a shore excursion to Butchart, but what is the light like in June around 7pm. I am concerned I would not be able to see the gardens.

Thank you

You're much further north than Los Angeles. Sunset on Jun 15th (for example) is 9:17pm, and it will be light to nearly 10pm. The gardens are all lit and quite lovely.

Archived